Dive Report: Destin Jetties East 05-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pics and report. Next time you head to Destin, let me know. Tim

Will do, but my next dive trip is next month to Cozumel for seven days.

I have got to figure out a buggy system to pull our gear in with(any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated). Thanks in advance.

Larry

The best way is motorized. I am trying to locate a 12volt motor from a power wheels jeep to customize a big wheel cart. I found a website that sells the beach wheels for 100.00 a wheel. I thought I would build the frame out PVC or aluminum. The rest I could fab at work.

MRXRAY,

Thanks for the info that helps a lot.

Compared to the walk from the pavilion area at St Andrews State Park to the kiddie pool, how does the walk at the Destin Jetties measure up to it? We (my daughter and I) did the St. Andrews dive last Summer. That walk was doable while suited up, not fun but doable. Is the Destin Jetties worse or about the same?

We have considered doing diving under the bridge on the west side also, any advise on it good or bad?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

You got to post some pictures of that buggy once you get it done. Sounds like you might be on to something there. I'm going to do some thinking on this a little and see what I might be able to come up with also.

You got to post some pictures of that buggy once you get it done. Sounds like you might be on to something there. I'm going to do some thinking on this a little and see what I might be able to come up with also.

I acutely found some used wheel chair motors on Ebay, just waiting to bid.

Also the walk at the the Destin Jetties is brutal but worth it when the water is clear. Its probably equivalent to 3 football fields although I could be exaggerating.
You could get in the water after about 100 yards and walk/float to the jetties.

Compared to the walk from the pavilion area at St Andrews State Park to the kiddie pool, how does the walk at the Destin Jetties measure up to it? We (my daughter and I) did the St. Andrews dive last Summer. That walk was doable while suited up, not fun but doable. Is the Destin Jetties worse or about the same?

St. Andrews walk is about 80 yards to the water.

Destin Jetties walk is about 300 yards, and that's just to the water. You've got another 200 yards you'll need to walk in the water (easier than walking the beach the whole way) before you get to the jetty proper. You do that 2 times a week, and you can cancel your gym membership :wink: But I agree with XRay. The best bet is to suit up at the car and make the walk. If the shower is working, you could wet yourself down first too. It'll add a little weight, but might keep you from having a heatstroke too.

You know something I just don't understand is why some of the dive shops in Destin don't have a cheaper (price) dive trip on their skorkel boats to the jetties! They charge $25.00 for snorkelers for what 2 1/2 hours? And they provide them with all the gear they will need(mask, fins, snorkel). Why not charge a driver $40.00 to include 2 tanks for 3 1/2 hours? A driver that doesn't have all his own equipment would also rent stuff from them and they would make more money there.

I know I would make that dive everytime I was in Destin. Just doesn't make sense to me!

Because some people pay the $$ they charge... I'd just assume make the short walk.

Het is correct about the distance, but the other issue is the sand is like walking in quicksand until you get down to the water. Sometimes you take three steps before moving one.

St. Andrews walk is about 80 yards to the water.

Destin Jetties walk is about 300 yards, and that's just to the water. You've got another 200 yards you'll need to walk in the water (easier than walking the beach the whole way) before you get to the jetty proper. You do that 2 times a week, and you can cancel your gym membership :wink: But I agree with XRay. The best bet is to suit up at the car and make the walk. If the shower is working, you could wet yourself down first too. It'll add a little weight, but might keep you from having a heatstroke too.

Panama City on a scale of 1-10 is a 2 with 1 being the easiest. I'd put the Destin Jetties at an 8. The walk is about a 1/4 mile but what makes it a killer is that it is all sand...... Really, really soft sand! I've seen grown men cry from this walk in the summer time and swear to never do it again. The dive is great though, but it is the WALK OF PAIN! :eyebrow:

MRXRAY,

Thanks for the info that helps a lot.

We have considered doing diving under the bridge on the west side also, any advise on it good or bad?

Thanks for your help.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom