Dive Report: L-8 and Black Point (9-17-06)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Earl once again took Ed, Matt and myself out and then made us jump off his boat miles from shore.... since we are divers this is a good thing! :D

Sunday was an absolutely perfect day. First dive was on the submarine L-8, which was intentionally sunk by the US Navy in a torpedo test ( http://wreckhunter.net/DataPages/l-8-dat.htm ). The max depth was 114 ft with a bottom temp 63 degrees! This was my first time on the wreck, but everyone had always told me how bad the vis usually is (it even says that on the link above), and generally acted like it wasn't that great a dive. Well, not today! Up top the vis was a good 25 feet, and even down at the bottom the vis was probably still a good 15. The wreck itself was also really cool. Matt and I were paired up for the dive and we managed to cover the whole length of the sub. I did it on nitrox, Matt did a bit of deco to match my profile using air. Earl says he saw a really big tail disappearing out of sight at one point. He never saw the whole animal, but from his description it sounds like it had to be a fairly large shark of some kind.

Second dive was on the stern of the Black Point ( http://wreckhunter.net/DataPages/blackpoint-dat.htm ), the ship sunk by the U-853 in WWII. Vis on this dive was around 20 ft. The wreck was loaded with fish including lots of big congers, and quite a few big winter flounder hanging out in the sand around the edge of the wreck.

You beat me to it :) I was actually going to post a dive report...

Anyway, yeah, fantastic day with two great dives. Couldn't believe I left the camera at home. I was expecting a crappy vis dive with the L-8 but it turned out to be one of the nicer dives I've done all year. I liked the Black Point (stern) a little better though. Lots of areas to explore, lots of fish, congers, etc. I ended up going into deco on both dives and Chris was nice enough to hang out with me for the B.P. deco :)

All in all a great day of diving.

WOW, that sounds like GREAT vis on the L8, not just good! I've dived her several times and have yet to actually SEE the wreck. I'm soooo envious, I was shuffling through the Boat Show in Newport yesterday while wishing I was out there. Good for you, and thanks for the dive report.

Dennis

wreckedinri:
WOW, that sounds like GREAT vis on the L8, not just good! I've dived her several times and have yet to actually SEE the wreck.

Yeah, it was a great dive, and vastly exceeded my expectations. If you get that one good day, I think this might be one of the better wrecks in RI.

Chris
That is exceptional vis for the L-8. I have only seen better than a few feet there, once. We ran to the Larchmont yesterday and had similar visibility (albeit dark).
Then we went just 4 miles back to the east to dive an unknown wreck nicknamed the "Winch Wreck" and the vis was awful, 3' at best.

I was going to give you a call because we were considering doing the Grecian and I know you want to get that in this year. We will be diving PTown this weekend, but, if we get a weather window, do you want to try the Grecian on or about September 30th?

sean22:
I was going to give you a call because we were considering doing the Grecian and I know you want to get that in this year. We will be diving PTown this weekend, but, if we get a weather window, do you want to try the Grecian on or about September 30th?

Without a doubt! :D

RIOceanographer:
Without a doubt! :D
There is only one requirement: you have to pray that the weather is like it was yesterday! If only they could all be like that.

RIOceanographer:
Earl once again took Ed, Matt and myself out and then made us jump off his boat miles from shore.... since we are divers this is a good thing! :D

econd dive was on the stern of the Black Point ( http://wreckhunter.net/DataPages/blackpoint-dat.htm ), the ship sunk by the U-853 in WWII. Vis on this dive was around 20 ft. The wreck was loaded with fish including lots of big congers, and quite a few big winter flounder hanging out in the sand around the edge of the wreck.

Did you guys poke down under the Gun Tub and check out the Gun?

Ed, where are you. I KNOW you had your camera right? Let see some pics, they usually come out pretty good.

all4scuba05:
Ed, where are you. I KNOW you had your camera right?

I did actually see Ed dive without his camera once.... I suggested he didn't bring it because it might get damaged..... I don't think he has ever forgiven me. :D

sean22:
Did you guys poke down under the Gun Tub and check out the Gun?

Yup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom