Dive Rite BP/Wing Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me start by saying that I've had my Transpac for about 7 years (with the rec wings) and its been great. However there was a problem with the integerated weight pockets that were on recall. Even though they were replaced, the replacement pockets also were defective (they would fall out while diving).

When I contacted Dive Rite and was told it was not their problem, it was the manufacturer (Sonoform I believe) and that Dive Rite would not warranty the (replacement) weight pockets. I still am unable to understand that logic (the b.c said Dive Rite, what difference did it make to me who made it) but was able to locate weight pockets that would work from Scuba Pro.

Since Dive Rite would not stand behind "their" (quotes because they blamed Sonoform) product I will no longer purchase Dive Rite products. My situation was not unique because several divers in the dive club (with over 130 members) also had they same problem and response from Dive Rite.

Just my 2 cents, and to share a story about an experience that involved a recall for weight pockets and the replacement pockets that didn't work and the lack of concern from Dive Rite about it.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been very helpful. I just want to clarify my tank config because I see a few guys going back and forth about my steel HP 120 and pony bottle rig. I'm doing strictly no deco recreational diving. The pony bottle is not for deco and has just air in it. For wreck diving in the Atlantic off the NJ coast a pony bottle is a requirement for almost all the dive boats. It's not for deco, it's a redundant air source and an emergency reserve.

Marcos

As Wendy and Gator said, a good singles wing is in order.

Some people have had no problem diving the Dive Rite Rec wing with single tanks, but I have had nothing but trouble with that wing on a single tank....air trapping during ascent..( which is the last thing you need trying to hold a stop in swell)

The gussett cords that come with the wing are useless to me, tightening them down does little to help the air trapping issue, and barely reduces the "taco" effect.

I would look at a 45 pound single tank wing, or a 30 pound, depending on your weighting. You will be much happier.

good luck !

SHPWRCKDVR:
Let me start by saying that I've had my Transpac for about 7 years (with the rec wings) and its been great. However there was a problem with the integerated weight pockets that were on recall. Even though they were replaced, the replacement pockets also were defective (they would fall out while diving).

When I contacted Dive Rite and was told it was not their problem, it was the manufacturer (Sonoform I believe) and that Dive Rite would not warranty the (replacement) weight pockets. I still am unable to understand that logic (the b.c said Dive Rite, what difference did it make to me who made it) but was able to locate weight pockets that would work from Scuba Pro.

Since Dive Rite would not stand behind "their" (quotes because they blamed Sonoform) product I will no longer purchase Dive Rite products. My situation was not unique because several divers in the dive club (with over 130 members) also had they same problem and response from Dive Rite.

Just my 2 cents, and to share a story about an experience that involved a recall for weight pockets and the replacement pockets that didn't work and the lack of concern from Dive Rite about it.

I understand your beef, but after replacing one 7 yr old set, I'd say Dive Rite fulfilled their duty, besides, after 7 yrs I'd replace the pockets just because the velcro deteriorates after that much use.

Ben

OneBrightGator:
I understand your beef, but after replacing one 7 yr old set, I'd say Dive Rite fulfilled their duty, besides, after 7 yrs I'd replace the pockets just because the velcro deteriorates after that much use.

Ben

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear about the pocket replacement, the b.c was only one year old when the pockets were recalled. The recalled/replacement pockets were defective as well and that was when Diverite blamed the situation on Sonoform.

I find it hard to believe that Diverite did the right thing when only after one year they wouldn't stand behind their product! It was only after doing my own research did I find that the Scubapro weight pockets would work on my Transpac. It was with the Scubapro pockets that I've been able to get 7 years service out of my transpac.

Back
Top Bottom