Dive rite power inflator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty simple to strip and clean a power inflator. The video on the DSS Website [video]https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/inflator.html[/video] includes details on how to service both the cartridge valve (the add valve) and the oral inflate / deflate valve. The Oral inflate deflate seldom generates much grief, and a failure of the oring on this portion of the inflator results in a slow leak of gas *out* of the wing when the inflator is held up. That's pretty trivial. A leaking / sticky cartridge valve can lead to a self inflating wing and that's a *bad* thing.

What I recommend is to visit your local friendly dive shop and inquire if they have any "takeoff" power inflators. Frequently shops with remove the conventional PI when they *Upgrade* a BC to an Air2 type combo octo inflator. That leaves them with a box of power inflators. If you can get a couple and remove the cartridge valves. Many, but not all, power inflators use the same cartridge valve.. Rebuild them if necessary. Lube them and seal them in little plastic bags and put them in your save a dive kit. It's *much* easier to spin out a complete cartridge valve and spin in a new one than to replace a power inflator. Replacing a power inflator requires dikes to cut the zip ties, replacement zip ties (use the good ones) and you have to "clock" the inflator on the end of the hose, meaning get the inflator oriented on the hose so it lays flat on your chest.

Spinning out a cartridge valve and screwing in a fresh one takes a few seconds.

Tobin
Agreed. After reading this thread I pulled out an old, unused inflator of a different style, less common and more expensive then the DR but Eric's preferred inflator. Used the DSS video and had it cleaned and reassembled in less than an hour. The inflator tool is helpful but you can do it without and I used a thin socket and extension to remove the bolt. Just takes a few orings and a tiny bit of lube. Now Eric has a spare in a ziplock.

"Spinning out a cartridge valve and screwing in a fresh one takes a few seconds." So true. I will have to watch for spares.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom