Dive-Rite Vs. Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mambo Dave:
From what I can tell, the DR's were developed in cave country, for caving, and they're inexpensive for such a good reg.

I bought 'em because the parts and service instructions are so readily available.

Developed in cave country? Nope.

They are a chinese knockoff of the Apeks regulator.

Is this a bad thing? Not really. I had both and serviced both. I just sold my diverite though because having to keep 2 service kits all the time got to be a hassle. I also feel that the parts inside the Apeks were slightly higher quality.

Would I suggest a Diverite, hell yes for the price. Overall it is a "buy". It's based on a solid and well proven design.

From what I was told when I tried to have a Poseidon Cyklon 5000 serviced.

I had an incompatible octo (beuchat)... Apparently (again this is what I was told) The 1st stage on the poseidons run at 180PSI... I am not a regulator guru but I recall the magic number being around 140 for 1st stages???? Anyway what the technician was pointing out was for the set up to be right it should be a cyklon reg and octo... The idea being that most regs/octos arent built to run a the 180PSI range...So I priced one.. The cyklon octo is around $350.00... Not sure if this matters much.. I did really like my poseidon... Just cant afford to set it up the way I was told it should be set up...

Not sure if this is fact or fiction.. Just what a technician at the LDS told me.. And hey... who am I to doubt them.. hehehehe

I always liked Poseidon regulators, but I never would own one. The maintenance thing and just too tempermental. I'd buy Apeks in a second, but not as long as they're distributed by Aqualung. If the Dive Rites are a Chinese knockoff, that's even better yet. After the Chinlee take over the world and start checking dive gear for oriental compliance, Mambo Dave isn't getting a bullet in the neck.
Hey Perrone - "I'm very pleased with them BUT there are some issues that you should be aware of."
What ish-ee-yews are you referring to anyway?

Nothing in regards to the performance of the regulators. I am pleased with that. But the hose routing, especially on AL tanks, presents some, shall we say, challenges. :)

essentially the swivel turret can allow too much movement of the backup reg. If the backup reg is routed behind the SPG, like I do, then that works, but depending on wing shape, you might have to watch it.

Nothing that can't be worked around. I'll try to snap a pic tonight.

Back
Top Bottom