Dive shop & Charter boat didn't check C-Card...so what??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, you do not have to have a C card to dive or scuba or snorkel. There is no Fedearal Scuba Agency, sorry. C cards are generally required on charter boats because their insurance requires it, there DM/Instructor insurance probably requires it and it removes some repsonsibility from the operator that your "supposed" to be certified.

No, you do not have to have any certification by law and many divers are not certified even today.

N

A charter operation checks c-cards for their protection, not yours. Why should you care one way or the other (assuming you have one to show)?

I ran dive charters years ago in the 1980's. I didn't ask to see a C card, I did have them sign a waiveron the hazards of diving. I had no DM or instructor rated employees on board. A boat that doesn't ask is my kind of boat. All I want is a boat ride to the site.

I know where I work, you have to fill out a waiver form and put your c-card number on it. Most people do double check that the numbers match, but in reality we don't have to. It's not illegal because you signed the form with that c-card number on it. At least, I know that's how it works here.

I know where I work, you have to fill out a waiver form and put your c-card number on it. Most people do double check that the numbers match, but in reality we don't have to. It's not illegal because you signed the form with that c-card number on it. At least, I know that's how it works here.

Nope, it is not illegal, period. There is no legal requirement whatsoever. What a buisness, club or insurance agency etc may require has no legal weight. The Feds and governments in the USA essentially could care less. Your C card does not have the weight of a pilot's license or a captain's license which have Federal Code of Law requirments. The C card is a private agency created document that carries no real legal weight and for some of those private agencies it is simply a profit center.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom