Dive Shop in Playa Del Carmen - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivi_1988

New
Reaction score
My husband and I will be diving in Playa del Carmen (local, ceynote and Cozumel dives) this month and am looking for recs for a dive outfit to go with. I am considering Phantom Divers, Tank-Ha, Abyss or the Reef Marina (which operates out of the Reef Hotel Playacar). I also spotted a shop called Dive Center Playa which is close to where we are staying... Can anyone share any thoughts about these or other great shops in the area? (Incidentally, we will be renting equipment). I am temped by Phantom Divers low prices, but the fact that Tank-ha has its own boat out to Cozumel seems like a big plus as well... Thanks!

Scuba Playa has an excellent reputation in the area, as does Phocaea. If you want to dive Cozumel it's cheaper to get the ferry over and go direct to the dive operations there. The ferry is dead simple and Aquasafaris (turn right out of the ferry terminal and it's about 300 yards on your left next to McDonalds) do a triple tank on the best dive sites (ask in advance if you want to go somewhere specific and they will sort it for you) for $70, most places rob you blind for the 'organised' trip over there.....

If you want to book your dives through the resort you are staying in be prepared to pay top dollar. Also, be aware that the diving off Playa is not very interesting, mainly because the development along the coast has killed the reef quite nicely! Cozumel and the cenotes are incredible, though - you'll love it.

Check out Jason at Fantaseadive in Playa. I had a great time diving with Jason. Treats you like family. He knows the reefs and will take care of you in Cozumel too. Makes a great video of your dive. Cenotes are OK one dive is enough. No fish just clear water and rock formations...give me the ocean anyday!!

...Cenotes are OK one dive is enough. No fish just clear water and rock formations...give me the ocean anyday!!

Oh, there are SO many people on this board who are about to disagree with you.... :D

Heck, I moved here so I could dive them all the time. It's a don't miss.

Y'all have me worried. My wife and I are finishing up our Open Water Diver certification next month in Playa del Carmen with the gang at Cyan-Ha, and no one's mentioned them favorably. Did I screw up?

I checked out Cyan-Ha last fall when I was in PDC. They are on the beach (kiosk style) a short walk from Gand Coco Bay resort. I was looking for a last minute 2 tank boat dive for the next day. I won't say the staff were rude but they certainly weren't interested in my business. After being ignored for about ten minutes after making my request - like they didn't want to make eye contact - I just left. I realize that an operation doesn't necessarily need a 'dive shop' to be a good, but I didn't see any evidence of rental gear, tanks, or anything that made me feel comfortable. Maybe I got this all wrong and they were just having a BAD DAY. I would like to hear some other opinions and maybe I will give them another chance. I don't like bashing a dive op if they don't deserve it.

We dived with a French outfit called Phocea in PDC in Nov. '07 and were happy with them, but next time we go we will use Maxden and his crew at GeoFish. I have traded PMs with him a few times, and he is always prompt in his responses, which I take to reflect on a culture of customer service. Additionally, every write-up I have found from people who have dived with GeoFish has been very positive.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. We booked with them because they're opening facilities at the hotel we chose, Petit Lafitte, and it just made sense.

I'll give them the report they're due when we have some experience with them.

Obviously I would have to recommend where I work first but honestly, the way I have ALWAYS found a dive center whether for work or pleasure, is to just walk around a little and get an actual feel for the shop, the staff, and its equipment. You can get an idea of options on here, but in the end seeing is believing. The advantage of Playa is that a lot of the dive centers mentioned on here so far are within half a block of each other so you can do the rounds quickly and easily. Let me know if I can help you guys with anything!

Obviously I would have to recommend where I work first but honestly, the way I have ALWAYS found a dive center whether for work or pleasure, is to just walk around a little and get an actual feel for the shop, the staff, and its equipment. You can get an idea of options on here, but in the end seeing is believing. The advantage of Playa is that a lot of the dive centers mentioned on here so far are within half a block of each other so you can do the rounds quickly and easily. Let me know if I can help you guys with anything!

Well, where DO you work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom