Dive Shop Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm amazed that I never heard of them before. They must really keep a very low profile. I'll be sure to look them up.

Greetings and get well wishes go out to Nick of Waikiki Dive Center!

Hope you'll be all better soon!

Hugs,

Lisa

Nick, wishing you the best in your recovery! I'm sure you'll be back in the water soon.

If you need anything, you've got my e-mail address!

Chris

Aloha Fellow Divers!

Thank you so much for the prayers! They really are working, my face is nearly healed and my eye is getting better. The paper had the information a little wrong. If you ever hear a wierd noise from your compressor, shut it off, immediately.
Unfortunately, I didn't have any wierd noise, just went in to bleed the compressor as normal and as soon as I touched it, Boom! The guys at the shop are now calling me boom boom. A minute earlier, Jenny and the baby were in the rental area which is near the compressor and the windows that blew out.

Not sure what exactly happened, it seems like a relief valve malfunctioned and caused a pressure explosion. The relief valve shot through the metal top of the filter, missed my head by about 4 inches and stuck into the ceiling. A fireball ensued and a very large concussion. It blew out the large windows on Nahua Street side of the shop and the bathroom window. Knocked all of the masks across the shop, moved our two large and full craftsman toolboxes about three feet and opened all of the drawers, and even knocked bc's and fins off of the wall on the other side of the shop. It blew the wall out of our little compressor room and bent the front door. I am very lucky and blessed to just be alive, let alone still standing and aware enough to shut everything off. It's amazing how things happen and the series of events leading up to something like this. Many things happened that if they had happened differently I wouldn't be responding to this thread.

The baby (Annelise) and Jenny were in the shop when it happened and luckily they both are fine, Jenny chipped a tooth from the concussion, minor. I really just would like to thank everyone. It's amazing how many people have called, sent gifts, and expressed their willingness to do anything necessary to help. Absolutely amazing. My brother and our staff are amazing, the shop was cleaned up that night, and the charters still went out the next day! Many of the other dive shops have offered any necessary help, along with so many people. Thank you so much guys!

I probably won't be to work for another week or so, but should be back soon. I had some metal removed from my left eye, but that seems to be healing fine now, just have to keep it closed a lot. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go in the sun for the next year to allow the burns to heal. Mostly 1st and 2nd degree burns to my face, neck and arms. I am sporting a new haircut, as the old one was instantly turned into an afro.

Again, thanks to God and to all who have helped.

Nick

Thanks for posting,

Glad you were so lucky!

nothing like a big boom to put life in perspective

Nick,

Thanks for posting! It's good to hear you are doing alright. I'll continue to pray for your full recovery. Keep your spirits up.

Chris

Glad to hear from you Nick, and even more glad to hear you're doing OK! I'll stop by to say hello (and get some diving in) next time I'm in Honolulu, as usual.

Cheers,
Kenn

Wow Nick,
Your humble description of your injuries aside, it sounds like you and your family were very fortunate to have escaped much more serious injury. I so glad you are on the mend. I'm sorry I never had occassion to visit your shop before this and I look forward to meeting you soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom