Dive shop responsiveness??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, happy to have you along. I'll let you know what gets worked out. I already have one day reserved on the 25th. Looking to do at least one more daytime 2 tank trip and one evening/night trip. Just fyi, accompanying me will be my 14 year old JOW daughter with 16 dives. I noticed you have a ton of experience, don't want you to be bored hanging around with us since we need to stay shallow and easy for my daughter.

Mike

If you're going to keep her within the confines of the JOW 40' depth limit, you may have some issues there. There just isn't a lot of boat diving in Palm Beach County less than 40' deep. Most of the decent stuff starts at 50'.

Everyone I speak to says 60 feet for her. We've been religiously sticking to that. Back when I booked the first dive with UE (way back in Sept or Oct,) they also were working to 60 feet and mentioned we'd be good.

Mike

Brian,

The 40' limit is for 10 and 11 year olds. 12 to 14 JOW can do everything an OW diver can do, except they have to dive with an adult.

What's this? Perhaps a UE trip on Christmas day? Let me know, I don't have family down here, so I'm probably up for that!

Kev was too busy accepting Divemaster of the Year at the dive show yesterday...I'm sure he'll be catching up on e-mails soon.

Both operators originally mentioned (UWExplorers and Narcosis) are good, reliable, and reputable.

This is something that I have found very interesting in the 'new economy' everyone seems to be facing....

Everyone seems to be 'needing the business' but yet when you try to book something or get information, no one is returning emails/calls/etc... I have found this not just in dive operators, but across the board, seems alot of businesses are not doing much to get much business.

(I had to get the hull waxed on a 44' I run and the person I usually go with took 4 days to return my call, I told him I had already gotten it taken care of by that time)

I would say the terms 'good, reliable' should be used for businesses that will actually return calls and emails..... just sayin......

I like Jupiter Dive Center personally, but there are LOTS of choices in the area, I would go with the one who actually seems interested in earning your business.

Sure, happy to have you along. I'll let you know what gets worked out. I already have one day reserved on the 25th. Looking to do at least one more daytime 2 tank trip and one evening/night trip. Just fyi, accompanying me will be my 14 year old JOW daughter with 16 dives. I noticed you have a ton of experience, don't want you to be bored hanging around with us since we need to stay shallow and easy for my daughter.

Mike

Everyone I speak to says 60 feet for her. We've been religiously sticking to that. Back when I booked the first dive with UE (way back in Sept or Oct,) they also were working to 60 feet and mentioned we'd be good.

Mike

Brian,

The 40' limit is for 10 and 11 year olds. 12 to 14 JOW can do everything an OW diver can do, except they have to dive with an adult.

You should be Ok in Boynton - avoid Jupiter as its deeper, among other reasons.
Boynton has (IMO) some of the best reefs in FL - most are at the +/- 60 ft level (maybe a foot or 3 deeper)

Kevin at UW Explorers is superb - never had a problem w/ his on line booking system. You tried calling him I assume. Always very responsive - he is a really great guy too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for patching Mike through to me! For any interested parties, the communication problem was that he was trying to reach me through Pirate Divers, which sadly, has closed. I sure am lucky to have friends like you guys. YOU GUYS RULE!

Hi mistressmotorsports,

You won't go wrong with Underwater Explorers. After more than 100 dives from Key Largo, I've adopted Boynton Beach as my favorite dive location in the US. I dived with UE in June, September and this last weekend this year. Kevin Metz is not the South Florida Dive Professional of the Year for no reason. He does great briefings and spends the time underwater with those that most need it. There is a DM in the water on every fantastic drift dive. The reefs in Boynton Beach bottom out just below 60 feet and the average depth for a dive is about 50 feet.

The web reservation system works without flaw, I'm sure Kevin or Wilhelmina will get back to you by email soon. Do keep in mind that dive conditions may not allow you to dive everyday morning and afternoon as may occur in the Caribbean. I had great dives in the AM both Saturday and Sunday of last weekend but got blown out for afternoon dives both days.

Good luck on your visit to South Florida. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom