Dive Shops in Montgomery and Frederick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to continue my education. I am AOW. Looking at Atlantic Edge, Brass Anchor, and Columbia Scuba. Would like to hear opinions on these three.

My LDS is Brass Anchor. I recently took drysuit and nitrox through them and thought the instruction was excellent. Their prices for training are very competitive and they include everything in their prices, to include books and PIC card fees. Very nice.

The staff are very knowledgeable and take the time to answer your questions. As with any shop, if you really want personal attention it is best to visit during the week or when the shop is not crowded with customers. I recently bought some steel tanks from a web site and had an issue with the threads on one of them. Terry at Brass Anchor called XS (the tank manufacturer) for me and arranged to get the tools to fix the problem, rather than have me send the tank back and incur the shipping charges. All this and I didn't even purchase the tank from him. But I will next time.

Their prices for gear might be a little high for some items, but they back up what they sell and the increased cost is well worth the outstanding customer service you will receive from them.

I've been to Rawlings with the dive club from Brass Anchor and it was a great time. I'll be doing several trips with them next year.

Atlantic Edge is actually closer to me than Brass Anchor, but I just don't feel the customer service is the same. I was in there once looking at regs and BCDs and the guy working the register really had nothing useful to tell me about the differences between the different models. Their prices are also way too high compared to other places and I don't know what it is, but I just get a weird negative vibe when I walk in there. I can't really explain it.

I haven't been to Columbia Scuba, so I can't comment on them.

I haven't personally taken any training from either shop -- just stopped in for gear or fills. My brother did his OW/AOW from Atlantic Edge and seems happy and competent enough. I believe that Brass Anchor does their checkout locally, at Hyde's Quarry in Westminster, while Atlantic Edge travels to Dutch Springs, which means you're going to be paying for a nite or two in a hotel. Irrelevant of course if you elect to do a referral checkout someplace else altogether.

From our experience, Terry and Judy at Brass Anchor seem to have one of the better selections of gear in-stock which is why we ended up buying our wetsuits there -- I'd rather give my money to someone who actually has sizes to fit me in stock than having to order -- if I have to order and wait before even trying something on, I'll mail-order.

Interview the instructors and decide which one you like better. I don't know exactly how their programs differ (length of time, number of classes, pool sessions, etc) but pick the one that works for you.

The service at Brass Anchor is incredible. A couple of years ago I was looking for new regs and Terry tried to talk me into the less expensive ones because he felt they were either better or no different (except for cost). Terry has also stayed late to fill my tanks even though he was leaving for a trip the next day. My Nitrox class was taught by Judy and was very professional, as soon as my finances are in order I will take the drysuit class with them.

I know people who drive by Atlantic Scuba to go to the Brass Anchor. My direct experience with Atlantic Scuba is limited, and while I found them friendly their prices were higher (IMO). I have no experience with Columbia Scuba.

I forgot to add that Brass Anchor normally does their nitrox class over two weekday evenings. That didn't fit my work schedule and I asked if they could do a Saturday class all in one shot. A couple of e-mails later, and they had one set up for the following weekend, with just me, my wife, and one other student in the class. You can't beat that kind of service.

Atlantic Edge no longer does their classes at Dutch Springs but at Millbrook Quarry (Haymarket, VA) which is about an hour and a half drive from Silver Spring. And also in response to people saying that their prices tend to be high they do price matching and are having a sale the second weekend of sept. I did my AOW and Rescue/EFR with Atlantic Edge and couldn't be happier. Everyone there is extremely friendly and helpful, I bought all my gear there and will continue to do business with them.

Before I went to Atlantic Edge I checked out Columbia Scuba but due to what I wanted to do they did not meet my needs. Columbia Scuba seemed good, guy working there was pretty friendly and very helpful by going out of his way and calling his distibutors for prices that he did not readily have on hand. Hope this helps...

You're welcome to come and check us out... we have a number of customers who make the trip from Frederick, Westminster and Columbia to come see us. I won't say a word about why... but there must be some reason : )

Back before we opened we were customers of the aforementioned shops... all three.

Here is an honest opinion based on personal experience from a former customer turned shop owner.

1. Brass Anchor... very friendly. Wen't out of their way to schedule a DAN o2 course for us on a weekend morning. We were impressed greatly with the customer service... the only problem was we knew more about the o2 kit then the Instructor did. We had to show her how to put it together. She also did not know how to hook the bladder into the chest of the manequin. We had to do that for her too.

2.Columbia Scuba. Only went there once. I went in to buy some ankle weights. I found them myself as the gentleman behind the counter was on the phone. I placed them on the counter and waited for him to acknowledge me and ring me up. He never did bother to acknowledge me - seemed I was more of a bother than a customer. I ended up leaving the ankle weights on the counter and walking out after about 5 - 8 minutes.

3. Atlantic Edge - This is another scenario where I was impressed with the staff friendliness. It dates back a few years so I don't know if all the staff is the same. I had signed up to do an Instructor Crossover from SSI to PADI. Again, the staff was friendly and very accomodating... but it became apparent early on that 1. this was about getting as much money out of me as possible and 2. I knew more than the Instructor.

By no means are we or any other dive shop perfect... but having been a consumer of these three and other shops in the area... there are some others I'd send you too before I'd send you to any of these... the problem is they're no closer to you than we are...

Best of luck in your search... dive safe and have fun!

I live in Rockville and drive to Manassas, VA for my lds because I am a tech diver and find no local shops that really support tech diving. Having said that, if I couldn't cross the river, I'd go to Brass Anchor. Terry and Judy are really helpful, friendly people who genuinely love to dive. I have had stellar customer service from them. They have an on-site hyrdo facility which is a nice bonus and an excellent service department. I am a reg tech and would trust Dave or Terry to service my regs any time. I have found their prices to be more than competitive locally.

Jackie

Back
Top Bottom