Question Dive shops off of cruise ship: Nassau, Cozumel, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

don302

New
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Cruising on MSC in March with ports of Nassau, Cozumel, and Belize. Is there a recommended dive operator for a 2 tank dive in any/all of these ports? Thanks.

Cruising on MSC in March with ports of Nassau, Cozumel, and Belize. Is there a recommended dive operator for a 2 tank dive in any/all of these ports? Thanks.

Mainland Belize or one of the Cays?

Stuart Cove's Dive Bahamas is great for cruise diving. They have an 11:45am pickup at the cruise port for their afternoon two tank dive. They typically get back to port around 5:45pm, but I've seen them get back as early as 5:20pm to get a cruiser back on time. If there's a smaller window before the ship leaves, they'll go to closer dive sites, which can be slightly limiting, but they have lots of options, so I've never had a bad dive with them.

In Cozumel, off a cruise ship, I like Dive Paradise. They're only an $8 cab ride away from the port, and offer a 10:00 a.m. Express boat, so you can still dive some of the southern sites and will only have 6 divers max on the boat.

I checked every dive shop in Nassau and everybody said "nope, we don't do cruise ship divers". I ended up booking Stuarts Cove through the ship. It's a long drive to the other side of the island and traffic is terrible. Because we booked through the ship they had to hold the ship when we got back late.

So...depending on when your ship leaves, and perhaps the day of the week determining traffic, I wouldn't risk going to SC on my own.

There are about 100 dive shops in Cozumel. So far the only one I've used is Dive with Martin a couple years ago. It was a good dive. Going back to Coz next month but going with Blue Reef Divers but only because they are the resident dive shop at the all day resort my family is staying at during our day in Coz.

Not diving in Belize this time.

I have booked a trip in Belize with Sea Sports Belize mid/late Feb. Also trying to book with Dive Paradise in Cozumel same week.

Sea Sports has a 4 diver minimum. When I first contacted them they didn't have anyone else. Stuck with it and got into a group.

I had also reached out to Jaguar based on some info here. They only have a 2 diver minimum.

No one wanted to book the first solo.

Dive Paradise has allowed me to book as a solo. They have a 2 diver minimum. Hoping it pulls together for a dive or I can pay for the empty spot.

I'll report back after the trip.

I have booked a trip in Belize with Sea Sports Belize mid/late Feb. Also trying to book with Dive Paradise in Cozumel same week.

Sea Sports has a 4 diver minimum. When I first contacted them they didn't have anyone else. Stuck with it and got into a group.

I had also reached out to Jaguar based on some info here. They only have a 2 diver minimum.

Dive Paradise has allowed me to book as a solo. They have a 2 diver minimum. Hoping it pulls together for a dive or I can pay for the empty spot.

Wife and I will be on Ambergris Caye (San Pedro) Jan 30 - Feb 9. Got a few dives planned 😬

Sounds like my experiences!

Linda at Sea Sports does a great job coordinating requests coming in from the various ships in port that day. I also helped things along by posting in the roll call and scuba forums on the Cruise Critic boards. I actually found a dive buddy there who I've stayed in touch with, and we'll be diving together off our November 2023 cruise to the ABC islands!

Susan at Dive Paradise will also work to coordinate requests from different ships. On my last dive there, there were divers coming off three different ships. Posting on Cruise Critic might help you fill that second spot so you don't have to pay for it.

Remember to bring drinking water with you!

I appreciate the tips. I dropped a line in the roll call. :)

Good to hear positive feedback as I had gone in fairly blind when deciding.

I'll also remember the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom