Dive shops on cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayJayJr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Never been on a cruise ship - never plan to be, as I can't stand the whole concept of riding around in the epitamy of wastefulness, eating more food than some of the small countires you visit have on hand to support their people...etc.

Ranting aside, I'm wondering if any cruise lines operate a dive ship right on the ship? I mean, it seems like a good idea??

If there are cruise lines that do operate a dive shop - have you ever used the services of one?

Royal Caribbean has dive shops on all the Voyager and Ultra Voyager class ships, they are a PADI dive center and I got my start with them. It was great to do the pool dives and classroom right on board and then do OW dives during our stops. I think Princess does the same on some of their Caribbean cruises.

I will agree with you on cruises with some lines and ships like the Voyager class. But lines like Princess, Celebrity and Holland America (not to mention Crystal, Seabourne, Silversea, etc) deliver a different experience. Plus, you get to dive a 3-4 different locations on a typical 7 day cruise...

Just because the decadence is there doesn't mean you have to partake. I thoroughly enjoy cruising...it's a great way to see the world.

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises have a dive program on most of their ships. Also, the ships only hold 120 passengers or so--. the ship's "restuarant" asks for a list of anyone not eating dinner there each evening, so they don't have to cook more food that can be eaten. They run a tight ship WITH a dive shop, and you still get to visit various islands and dive in various waters.

Regent (formerly Seven Seas) Cruises has a dive operation on their Tahiti ship - the Paul Gaughin. That was our first cruise (only 300 passengers onboard) and we really enjoyed the experience. We did a two tank dive in every port location. They had rental gear so you didn't have to haul all your stuff. One couple took all their stuff (including weights!) and regretted the decision as the rental equipment was in very good shape. The back of the ship opened and that was the aquatic center as they also had kayaking, snorkeling etc. We took two zodiacs to the each dive location. No more than 6 people per DM. I am not sure about any of the other Regent ships offer this type of dive service. It was a great experience for us. All that being said, now that we have experienced our first liveaboard, I don't know how many cruises are in our future.

Dive shops on cruise ships
And whiskers on kittens
Tank bands and valve drills
And warm neoprene mittens

Blue H's on webbing,
And back plates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

I wonder if Julie Andrews was DIR?

Dive shops on cruise ships
And whiskers on kittens
Tank bands and valve drills
And warm neoprene mittens

Blue H's on webbing,
And back plates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Too funny!

I wonder if Julie Andrews was DIR?

Of course.

I think if you expand your idea of a 'Dive shop,' then yes, you may find some on certain cruise ships. As far as a scuba center to service your gear, provide/rent/sell gear to you, then no, I doubt you will find such a thing on a cruise ship. If you are looking for a small outfit with overpriced Scuba doo-dads, UW cameras rated for 15-feet and under-paid DMs to teach pool classes, then YES, you will find this on most cruise ships.

Princess offers an OW certification. There are some pretty good instructors. Don't dis it just because it is on a ship. They do pool work and them do dives in two of the ports. One can do the book work either before hand and have a referral or do the whole course on the ship.
Its as valid a way to do a certification as any.

I've been on 5 cruises with #6 coming this January. It's been our annual sanity check in the middle of Minnesota winters.

Princess has a PADI dive operation that includes OW certification, Refresher, Underwater Photography cert, and Underwater Naturalist cert. They also have a gear locker with rental gear for use with the classes. Classes and pool work are done onboard, with dives scheduled at the ports. They do not have a retail dive shop selling gear, if that's what you're wondering.

Carnival did not offer an onboard dive program, but do contract at each port for a dive excursion.

Those are the only two I can comment on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom