Dive Site:Rock Point?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving with Aldora earlier this year and one day everyone on the boat agreed to drop way down south at Maracaibo. We knew the current was kicking pretty good and we ended up blown off the reef over sand for a majority of the dive. Still saw a few sharks and some awesome rays when cruising over the sand.

Was it different than some of the reefs? Yes. Was it a disappointment? Absolutely not. Beat the hell out of being at work and was a 58 minute dive.

I think many people end up with a preconceived idea of what the dive and when they don't find that exact image of their mental picture they are disappointed. People also pick crappy ops that are only there to ferry bottom churners to depth. That’s the benefit of small boats with Aldora. The divers along with crew decide where to go together.

That’s the benefit of small boats with Aldora. The divers along with crew decide where to go together.
That's SOP for most of the ops on Cozumel who use small boats, which is most of the ops on Cozumel.

Well, whatever dive op he was with and whatever DM he had who told him the dive site was called "Rock Point" seems to say all that needs to be said. Over a decade and 100's of dives in coz and not once have I or anyone ever heard of Rock Point. Sounds to me like a lousy dive op and totally inexperienced DM to coz who could call any site Rock Point in my opinion. Could have just stopped the boat anywhere and said here we are at Rock Point and dropped down to a bunch of sand and a few coral heads the size of large rocks. This is why 10% of dive ops stand the test of time and the other 90% just keep churning and turning.

Well, whatever dive op he was with and whatever DM he had who told him the dive site was called "Rock Point" seems to say all that needs to be said. Over a decade and 100's of dives in coz and not once have I or anyone ever heard of Rock Point.
Tomorrow ask Chan Fran if he has ever heard of 'Rocky Point', I believe he is a native Cozumel Mayan and knows many of the original and slang names for the various locations. If he is unsure then perhaps he can check with his father in-law Fiero

Tomorrow ask Chan Fran if he has ever heard of 'Rocky Point', I believe he is a native Cozumel Mayan and knows many of the original and slang names for the various locations. If he is unsure then perhaps he can check with his father in-law Fiero

Will do.

Well, whatever dive op he was with and whatever DM he had who told him the dive site was called "Rock Point" seems to say all that needs to be said. Over a decade and 100's of dives in coz and not once have I or anyone ever heard of Rock Point. Sounds to me like a lousy dive op and totally inexperienced DM to coz who could call any site Rock Point in my opinion. Could have just stopped the boat anywhere and said here we are at Rock Point and dropped down to a bunch of sand and a few coral heads the size of large rocks. This is why 10% of dive ops stand the test of time and the other 90% just keep churning and turning.

As good, if not better theory than any other. That being said, I think your ratios are just backward.

I suppose you are talking in general and not about Cozumel, specifically. I have been diving Cozumel for over 20 years and for the most part I see the same ops year after year. With all the great sites around the island I cannot imagine why any op would do what you describe.

It sounds more to me like an inexperienced diver who had for some reason a less than satisfactory experience (it happens) and doesn't remember what the site was called.

I think you'll find that Tunich means "stone" in Mayan. Punta means "end", "tip", "point", etc. in Spanish, thus Rocky Point. Many times over the years I've heard the translations of sites, for instance, Chankanaab means "little sea" in Mayan. Though "francesa" is Spanish for "french", La Francesa apparently translates to, "French Lady", at least that's what I was told long ago. Anybody ever dive South Point?

Back
Top Bottom