Dive trips after OW cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottb27

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently going through my OW cert and do my open water dives at the end of the month. The only current plan I have for diving is a carribean cruise I am taking in october; which I hope to get 1-2 days of diving in while I am on that trip.

Looking foward I am hoping to get some dives in, but I do not have any friends who dive so I would be going as a single. My local dive shop (where I am doing my cert) does a bunch of dive trips every year. I know I need to speak with them also, but how is it going on dive trips as a single when you are just certified? Does it make for a less enjoyable trip for everyone if you have a very rookie diver going with you? And what is the best way to get some more experience if you dont have any friends who dive?

Thanks

Generally when doing any dive trips they usually pair divers of similar experience, OW is OW so I dont think you will have too many problems, everyone wasnew at one point . If the dive is more "advanced/difficult" they may request minimum level of experience i.e. Advanced OW. I think the best way is to "attach" yourself to a dive store, that way you can meet other divers. FWIW generally I am diving single and have not found it to be a great disadvantage. Good luck with your diving.

Also, many shops have dive clubs affiliated and there are a lot of independent dive clubs around that meet regularly in addition to dive outings. Here in the Denver area we have several, including the Sharkbait dive club that has a very active membership, meets monthly, and runs several trips per year. I am sure there are at least 2 clubs, probably alot more, in your area. Also, post here on scuba board for divers in your area and you will certainly find some new friends. It's really easy to talk to and make friends with other divers, because we have a really cool interest in common. It is easy to bond even on a dive boat getting ready for a dive as you are buddied up. Have a great trip and enjoy a lifetime of diving and dive friendships.
DivemasterDennis

I am currently going through my OW cert and do my open water dives at the end of the month. The only current plan I have for diving is a carribean cruise I am taking in october; which I hope to get 1-2 days of diving in while I am on that trip.

Looking foward I am hoping to get some dives in, but I do not have any friends who dive so I would be going as a single. My local dive shop (where I am doing my cert) does a bunch of dive trips every year. I know I need to speak with them also, but how is it going on dive trips as a single when you are just certified? Does it make for a less enjoyable trip for everyone if you have a very rookie diver going with you? And what is the best way to get some more experience if you dont have any friends who dive?

Thanks

If you'd like a built in buddy who's also a newb, PM me. So far I've done dives in Hawaii and Florida as a "single" and had no issues whatsoever. I try to meet other scubaboard members if I can but if that doesn't work I book it anyway and have had fun so far.

Not sure what LDS you're working with, but Patriot Scuba in Occoquan has a dive club. In addition to trips that the shop plans, the club is also planning several dive opportunities as well as other activities. Also, I know that several of the members make trips down to Lake Rawlings for dives. (I was there this weekend for PPB class, but also managed to find two "insta-buddies" to explore a bit of the lake.) Send me a PM if you'd like more information on the dive club...

Taking a dive trip as a single is generally no biggie. The best way for overall fun for the long term is to join a dive club at your LDS. Instant buddies! for an individual trip and future trips and local diving. Generally on a trip as a single there are always others who are single or very willing to make you part of a 3 person buddy team. Don't think of a buddy as just one person.

Also you can attach yourself to the divemaster / instructor leading the dive. But never dive above your training and capabilities.

Don't fear going on a dive trip alone to a resort or location where there are other divers. Invariably you will find a buddy and Enjoy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom