Dive Trips- What do you love? What do you Hate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an avid diver and yogini. My husband is an avid diver and decidedly not into yoga stuff.

I've never been too interested in flying to another country, or even elsewhere in this country, for yoga. I'm lucky to have access to plenty locally or within driving distance. If I did travel further, it would probably be for a particular teacher, not for a generic retreat with unknown folks. Maybe if I didn't dive, my husband would go off on a dive trip and I would go off on a random yoga thing. But as it stands, we generally want to go on a dive trip together where the priority is the diving. (Though it would be a plus to have decent yoga classes available convenient to where I'm staying, at times that don't interfere with my diving, eating, or sleeping.) That said, we're not completely adverse to places where the norm is 3 dives a day and spending the rest of the time relaxing or whatever. Maybe we would do something like this, if it was just the right thing. Like if it were someplace we would consider for a dive trip anyway, this might sway me a bit.

Does seem like a small niche, as you're unlikely to attract individuals seriously into one or the other. Maybe there are some people interested in dabbling in both on one trip, but I would think the biggest market for this would be couples where one was a serious diver, and the other didn't dive. There's often people looking for solutions to that. Ideally you'd want a place that didn't compromise the diving side much if at all. And a flexible "retreat" part that offered things appealing to a wide enough range of people that might have some interest in yoga/wellness, so you weren't aimed at too small a niche.
Meals could be tricky if you are focusing a lot on that aspect. These couples would probably want to eat together, and the type of food typical for a retreat isn't going to fly with most of the dive crowd.

Availability of a spa is a plus for both of us on any trip, and I think it could be an attraction for something like this. Many places claim spas, but practically speaking they require too much advance planning and trouble to actually line something up, don't have the capacity for many appointments, and don't have evening hours so people can do spa things without missing whatever else they came for. Making special arrangements if necessary to make sure this is readily available would be a selling point to me.

- in a word, liveaboard. slightly longer answer, a clean, well organised liveaboard which visits hard to get to sites. failing a liveaboard, then a destination with an excellent house reef and gear locker on the beach. i only want to set my gear up once on a diving holiday.

- i want to dive/eat/sleep. nothing else. i'm well travelled and go on non-diving holidays, so the cultural stuff can be done another time.

- unguided diving. solo diving even better!

The op needs to go to coco view on Roatan and or the Atlantis resorts in the Philippines - pay attention and create a model after them.

Reactions: Doc
My 2 cents..
The value of a dive trip is DIVING. I want as much time as possible in the water.
The hotel is for sleeping, I need nothing but bed and breakfast, unless there's a complete lack of restaurants. Breakfast at the hotel, lunch at the boat, dinner at a random restaurant in town. All inclusive are generally NOT EVEN CLOSE to worth the money unless you travel with a family or intend to sit at the pool sipping drinks all day. Just consider this - if all inclusive was a great deal for the average guest, why the hell would they offer it, theyre in buisness to make money (and because they make money, else theid be bankrupt)

So in short - get me there as fast as possible, keep me in the water as much as possible, get me back home as fast as possible. Quicker travels = more time to dive.

Take 'em to Dominica-------(google that place)......& they'll love you forever........:)

My wife is a non-diver. I do like it when we travel together. I just came back from a live aboard trip, she didn't go which is a good thing because she would have been miserable. As it turns out the trips we go on that there is diving I get to enjoy the diving in the mornings and she gets to enjoy sleeping in. I get back in the afternoon and we then get to enjoy each others company touring and looking at other things offered. I love the dive eat sleep routine but sometimes I need to remember my wife and her wants. I could go on a trip as the op has mentioned and enjoy it even if I wanted to dive more than she would like me to. I am sure I am not the only person in the world, possibly the only one on scubaboard, that would enjoy a trip like that. Though I do not think the yoga thing is something I would want to do.

Yoga classes on the beach, morning meditations and intention setting. Clean, nutritious meals. Cooking and nutrition classes. Wellness workshops. Small intimate groups to maximize everyones experience.

Dump this crap - I want to dive not sing Kumbaya. Also, if I'm doing 3-5 dives a day I want comfort food. I can diet at home.

Has there yet been a study from DAN relating incidence of DCS and Yoga?
:doctor:

I'm calling them Monday, first thing, to ask.

@Hintermann: It is the same when I go riding. The wife and I, when not diving go riding. When we go on a holiday with out motorcycles, we ride. We do not go in to towns, we ride... And when diving we dive and also when skiing, we ski every day morning and afternoon, we don't sit around we ski... And when sailing we sail. There is not enough time in a lifetime to do all the things we want to do (or money) But the point is combining things does not make us happy. I cook quite often. but I'm not going to cooking class when diving, riding, sailing or whatever, nor will I go to Yoga...

My wife is a non-diver. I do like it when we travel together. I just came back from a live aboard trip, she didn't go which is a good thing because she would have been miserable.
I fully understand what you are saying but I believe that it does not necessarily follow that a non-diver would be miserable on a liveaboard cruise. It all depends on what the non-diver is looking for on that holiday.

A few years ago I was on a boat in the Maldives for a week and among the other guests was a German couple. The wife was a non-diver whereas her other half was an enthusiast and came on every dive. She was a stockbroker or something similar in the financial market and told me that she had a very busy and stressful job. Therefore, the week's break of relaxation - sunbathing, reading, sleeping etc came as a welcome relief for her and when we parted at the end of the trip, she appeared to have enjoyed the trip as much as her husband had, albiet for completely different reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom