Dive Trips- What do you love? What do you Hate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha, you don't know my wife.:D She gets seasick easily, doesn't want to spend day on a boat let alone 10 days. She is good for 4-6 hours on a boat if you want to go fishing but that is about it. She was perfectly happy to take me to the airport for my last trip. She is currently in Denali Nat Park riding around on a bus. I would like to see the place but have no desire to ride around in a bus for 12 hours.

As with everything that is being talked about in this thread, some things are great for some but not for others. All things in life are like that. I see no problem with what the OP wants to do. It may work perfectly well for some but not for the majority of people on ScubaBoard. c'est le vie.

I fully understand what you are saying but I believe that it does not necessarily follow that a non-diver would be miserable on a liveaboard cruise. It all depends on what the non-diver is looking for on that holiday.

A few years ago I was on a boat in the Maldives for a week and among the other guests was a German couple. The wife was a non-diver whereas her other half was an enthusiast and came on every dive. She was a stockbroker or something similar in the financial market and told me that she had a very busy and stressful job. Therefore, the week's break of relaxation - sunbathing, reading, sleeping etc came as a welcome relief for her and when we parted at the end of the trip, she appeared to have enjoyed the trip as much as her husband had, albiet for completely different reasons.

Ha, you don't know my wife.:D She gets seasick easily, doesn't want to spend day on a boat let alone 10 days. She is good for 4-6 hours on a boat if you want to go fishing but that is about it. She was perfectly happy to take me to the airport for my last trip. She is currently in Denali Nat Park riding around on a bus. I would like to see the place but have no desire to ride around in a bus for 12 hours.

As with everything that is being talked about in this thread, some things are great for some but not for others. All things in life are like that. I see no problem with what the OP wants to do. It may work perfectly well for some but not for the majority of people on ScubaBoard. c'est le vie.

Sounds like we have similar wives! We should form a group and plan dive trips. All the wives can go sit at the pool, drink foo-foo drinks and talk crap about us while we go dive!

Sounds like we have similar wives! We should form a group and plan dive trips. All the wives can go sit at the pool, drink foo-foo drinks and talk crap about us while we go dive!

Yeah, thats called Sharm El Sheikh or Cozumel :p

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

we tend to do liveaboards or Bonaire. dive trips are or diving. wine trips are for food & wine, ...
love:
- diving
- long dives (60 minute minimum)
- night dives
- dive destinations (i.e. NOT places like Jamaica)
- no crowding
hate:
- guided dives
- group dives
- some one else scheduling a bunch of non diving activities (other than meals or naps) that will cut into my dive time
- waiting for the last straggler to show up so we can get started

we tend to do liveaboards or Bonaire. dive trips are or diving. wine trips are for food & wine, ...
love:
- diving
- long dives (60 minute minimum)
- night dives
- dive destinations (i.e. NOT places like Jamaica)
- no crowding
hate:
- guided dives
- group dives
- some one else scheduling a bunch of non diving activities (other than meals or naps) that will cut into my dive time
- waiting for the last straggler to show up so we can get started

Well said!

OK...are you absolutely ready to puke now??? My husband is and has been my best friend and dive buddy from the get-go. We CAN'T wait to undertake the next journey...wherever that may be. We rarely miss a dive and are happy as long as we get to dive 3 times a day. Yes, I get TERRIBLY seasick, but over the years have managed to come up with a personal treatment plan that works for me, so I don't let that interfere with our fun.

We have travelled to many areas of the world together, and diving was ALWAYS the purpose of the trip. But we usually managed to have just a little exploration time on no-dive days. No matter what we are doing, we are pretty much happy doing it together. And that is also true of jumping in the truck for the 17 hour journey down to Key Largo to visit the peeps we dearly love. Life's a journey...enjoy the ride!

you are doing it all wrong. you appear to be way too focused on dive trips. spread it around a bit. dive trip, ski trip, dive trip, wine trip, dive trip, food trip, dive trip, history trip, dive trip, theatre trip, dive trip, ...

in my experience, each trip is best enjoyed if it has a single focus that hopefully is "close to world class". that way you should get a "best of" for every trip. not a compromise so you could do a little of something else.

for example, when we travel to California for a wine trip, we make no attempt to jam in a scuba dive. the trip is all about wine and food. when we go on a scuba trip we really do not focus on the wine or food. let me dive & just feed me something.

Other interests? Wha?

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 02:48 AM ----------

:confused:

I don't take non-divers on my dive trips and I'm not taking dive gear on a trip unless I'm gonna dive as much as possible. Everthing else can wait for another trip when I've pack much lighter and quite differently.

Back
Top Bottom