Dive with Cruise operator vs Local Cozumel Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WestHoustonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
We're a family of 2 adults & 2 teenage Jr cert divers who will be stopping by Cozumel on a cruise ship in Nov. Carnival's operator is Sand Dollar, who charges $79 for 2 tanks boat dive. But we'll probably do the $89, with all equipment included, so we won't fill/stink up our cabin.
We have used Sand Dollar before when we stayed in Cozumel hotel over the years. We were very satisfied w/ their operation.
We are in search of other local Cozumel (as well as Grand Cayman) operators who can/will accomodate cruise ship passengers' later timing, & who can offer a better price (savings x4 for us).
So far, most local operators in Cozumel who we've looked up have similar pricing as the ship's, or not much savings under the $89 (all equip included) price.
Also, using the ship's operator, we'll insure that we won't miss our ship departure time , usually not a problem in our previous diving excursions when we booked by ourselves previously, but the savings must be significant to offset that worry.

Any suggestions, pls?

Thanks,

Since there are 4 of you, depending on when you are traveling and how much lead time you have, you might actually be able to get your own boat with one of the smaller shops that only takes 6-8 divers a day. It won't necessarily be a whole lot cheaper then Sand Dollar, but you will have a much better experience then you would on the cattle boat with your dive times strictly enforced. Small boat, small group = personalized experience, diver where you want (or the type of sites you like), and not being allowed to dive your tank rather than the shop's schedule.

If there are any Cozumel dive ops that you've read about and you feel they fit what you want in a shop, contact them and see what they can do for you. If they don't have other divers booked yet for the day you want, and there are 4 of you, they will likely have more flexibility. If they do pick up other bookings then they the other divers would probably be worked around your schedule for that one day.

Try the same thing with a couple of the smaller shops in Grand Cayman too.

With 4 of you all diving you may just be able to charter out a whole boat and get a "better" dive trip because the shops that are taking the cruise ship divers are taking them to a spot that they have designated since a lot of cruise ship divers are; for lack of a better term, horrible with buoyancy; When I was in Roatan I knew the owner of the dive op and I got to go out on a different boat than the cruise ship group. I booked through the cruise ship, but made my arrangements with the owner afterwards. I got to go out on a much nicer dive site than the cruise group went to and I was on a boat with only 2 other people.

An independent operator might have larger-than-80 cf tanks available, if you contact the and ask. Might be available with Sand Dollar through the cruise line, too? I know some op.s have big tanks.

Richard.

Get your own boat - unless you want to go on a large boat, mix with other divers and all. Cheerleading often breaks out on these threads with members often touting their personal favorites but virtually all ops are pretty good so details vs preferences is your call.

Do take your own regs tho. The idea of diving rental gear is not too appealing, but I certainly want my own regs, and I'd want my own mask, fins & botties, and snorkel (for snorkel excursions on the cruise), and dive skins. I'd also carry my own sausage, storm whistle, mirror. I know you don't want to take your own BC and the few cruise boats I have been on didn't have room for them, but I'd still take all of the other basics I guess.

Finding a small boat operator from the dozens available should be an easy call.

I've always been more than pleased with Pelagic Ventures and you would very likely have your own boat

I just got back from a cruise that stopped in Cozumel. There were four certified divers that were cruising in our little group. With four divers you can definitely reserve your own boat. You can do a standard Cozumel two tank dive with the first being deep (75'-100') and the second a little bit shallower. SI for us was back at the dive ops pier but that was because we were meeting up with a couple of other discovery divers who were going to do the second dive with us. Normal SI would usually be done at a beach somewhere for an hour or so.

We were able to complete both dives, take a cab downtown to eat, and then return to the cruise ship terminal with about 1.5 hours to spare.

I would think you should be able to knock off at least $15 per diver off your quoted price by using your own dive op. The one I used is the one I always use when we come on dive vacations to Cozumel. I don't know if the pricing I got is special or standard so I won't bother quoting it here on the forum.

I have worked with a number of people here in Houston from the dive shop I work out of that have gotten certified and then take a cruise ship that stops in Cozumel. Typically divers from a cruise ship are put on a large slow boat that will often times take you to an average dive site. I have also know that several that have used the cruise ship to book dive trips and they worked out fine. However, I think you can control the quality if you work with a very good dive operation directly. They will rent you gear usually cheaper than the cruise operation. I believe you will have a better experience.

We have been going to Cozumel for about 17 years and typically make 2 - 4 trips a year to dive there and so we are familar with a number of Cozumel dive shops. You can get a better deal by directly contacting some local shops directly in Cozumel. They will work with you to accomodate your schedule and usually charge you less than the cruise ship dives costs. Also you will go out on a small fast boat and I would bet a better experience.

If you want to contact a local shop, I would suggest you contact 1 of these 2 dive shops (both are operated by excellent and very professional owners) :
Deep Blue: www.deepbluecozume.com Deborah is the owner ...email address: deborah@deepbluecozumel.com
Blue XTSea: Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico Christi is the owner ...email address: info@bluextseadiving.com

Hope you have a great time and if I can help you send me a private post.

Morris
Houston, Texas

Well the cheerleading hasn't been so bad, but I like $60/trip Ops myself. And if you take everything except BC, which you should - not much to rent or try on & inspect.

There's more to diving Cozumel than the price per person. Were you allowed to dive your air with Sanddollar? Were the sites nice & close to their pier, or were you taken to what many of us consider the better sites? Your Jr divers would really get a thrill diving Colombia Shallows, but I doubt Sanddollar will be taking them there, but I may be wrong, but it's worth checking on. A 2 tank trip can be a decent dive no matter where they take you, but many of the smaller ops will take you where YOU want to go, and make it a much better value. I haven't dove with Deep Blue, but I can speak about Blue XT Sea, Pelagic Ventures, & Scuba Tony and I highly recommend all 3 for what your looking for, but can't guarantee that it won't cost a few $$$ more, but you'll likely have a much better experience.

This is an afterthought edit. If I had 2 Jr divers, or even 2 rookies to please I think I'd be really comfortable suggesting doing both of my 2 tanks at Colombia Shallows. You'd be getting the best of Cozumel for them plus a very good experience for the seasoned divers, along with great bottom times in a very safe environment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom