Diveassure update, are they for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a copy and paste from the DiveAssure website:

"TRAVEL INSURANCE AND TROPICAL STORMS: WHAT’S COVERED?

Travel protection through DiveAssure’s Diamond membership will cover a member’s diving vacation investment if severe weather conditions directly affect his/her travel arrangements or accommodations. For example, if the member is forced to cancel a trip due to a hurricane, travel insurance with trip cancellation can provide a reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses, up to the limit of coverage purchased.

If severe weather forces the evacuation of the member’s hotel or resort, the travel insurance can provide reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses, and additional travel expenses.

For losses to be covered, membership must be purchased before a tropical storm is forecasted or predicted for the destination of the trip. Losses resulting from a storm that has been forecasted or predicted on or before the effective date of coverage are excluded. "

That seemed pretty clear cut to me.

pilot fish:
Wouldn't that just be supplying them with the policy number?:confused:

Oh no, they had that...what they wanted was "proof". They said that would be in the form of a receipt. It was the weirdest thing. Basically we decided for $150 it wasn't worth it and haven't bought insurance since.

Buoyant1:
I work for an insurance company...trust me ALL of the terminology is confusing on purpose! :rofl3:
our one and only bad holiday included cancelled flights, lost bookings, theiving staff, dm's "borrowing" our gear without asking and breaking it, boozing guests that stole our stuff AND a huge out of control party that ended in attempted rape and assualt charges. took me a hell of a long fight but i got $ from the insurance company so KEEP FIGHTING them.

they expect you to just go away quitely so kick up the biggest stink you can and good luck

del_mo:

Travel protection through DiveAssure’s Diamond membership will cover a member’s diving vacation investment if severe weather conditions directly affect his/her travel arrangements or accommodations. For example, if the member is forced to cancel a trip due to a hurricane, travel insurance with trip cancellation can provide a reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses, up to the limit of coverage purchased.

If severe weather forces the evacuation of the member’s hotel or resort, the travel insurance can provide reimbursement for nonrefundable expenses, and additional travel expenses.

For losses to be covered, membership must be purchased before a tropical storm is forecasted or predicted for the destination of the trip. Losses resulting from a storm that has been forecasted or predicted on or before the effective date of coverage are excluded. "

Sorry del_mo, looks like you are correct. I have the Platinum plan, and it looks like the Diamond plan does indeed include true trip cancellation insurance. See Part B(c) of the policy language here:
http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/main_media_manager/documents/DiveAssure_USA_Diamond_0106.pdf

Notice the words: for nonrefundable expenses? That means, when the airline and or hotel refund your money, they owe you zip, or just the portion of what you have to pay, one night stay etc. In other words, YOU have to break your hump going after the airline and hotel rather then them paying you and THEY go after airline and hotel. YOU do all the work. Do I read that correctly?

del_mo:

Del_Mo: That policy coverage is very clear and you should be covered. Please let me know the outcome as I too purchased DiveAssure last Dec. and have 2 more dive trips coming up in the next couple of months.

We are aware of this case (we were only notified by the member this past friday, Feb 16th) and this appears to have simply been a human error by the AIG examiner. The member is to receive a letter stating that and has already been notifed by us. DiveAssure history of paying claims is superb and will remain that way.
If you have any questions feel free to post them here and I will be happy to answer.

Sharon, DiveAssure.

Received this email today. YIPPEE!

"I was informed of the situation with AIG in regards to your paid claim.

This is an unfortunate mistake (by an AIG claims examiner) and you shall receive a letter stating so from AIG very shortly.

Your claim has been paid as it should have and will remain paid.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact me directly via phone or email should you have any questions or assistance needs."

Wow, this is one of the greatest things that I love about ScubaBoard. If you have questions, concerns, comments, etc. you have great people out there to join in a good dialog. You learn something and a lot of times, as in this case, there is usually a representative from the company or manufacturer that comes on line to join in the dialog with us.
When companies do this, join in dialog here on ScubaBoard, it tells me that there is at least people in the company that does care and it places them a little higher up on my prefered list.

Thanks for posting DiveAssure.

J:

The post by DiveAssure increases my confidence that they are trying to do the right thing [is that only when people are watching and contacting the dive community on a dive message Board?] and seem to be part of the dive community. My question is: would this have been resloved favorably if it wasn't posted on this Board?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom