Diveassure update, are they for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh..the insurance world is a complicated place, legally speaking Pilot. :wink: As to your question RE: contractors...the liability there depends on the policies in place. :) In many cases, the sub-contractor is the responsible party and they would be responsible for any damage inherent to their work, the primary contractor being absolved of any wrong-doing. Now, most GC's do carry policies that offer umbrella coverage for their sub-contractors, but they are usually excess policies that only offer coverage if resultant damage were to exceed the coverage of that of their sub-contractor's policy.

How's that for a simple answer? :wink:

All that being said..I do understand what you mean by "agent" in the legal sense of the term...but in insurance law, things can get a bit topsy-turvy. Most agents' only duty to the insured is salesman and advocate, beyond that they have no other duties. Yes, it's a bit of a cruel world, but the underwriting company always has the final say.

Cheers,
Austin

Thank you Austin. Insurance is purposely convoluted to confuse the insured, therby limiting claims:(

One who represents and acts for another under the contract or realation of agency

3-Ring Octopus:
Ahh..the insurance world is a complicated place, legally speaking Pilot. :wink: As to your question RE: contractors...the liability there depends on the policies in place. :) In many cases, the sub-contractor is the responsible party and they would be responsible for any damage inherent to their work, the primary contractor being absolved of any wrong-doing. Now, most GC's do carry policies that offer umbrella coverage for their sub-contractors, but they are usually excess policies that only offer coverage if resultant damage were to exceed the coverage of that of their sub-contractor's policy.

How's that for a simple answer? :wink:

All that being said..I do understand what you mean by "agent" in the legal sense of the term...but in insurance law, things can get a bit topsy-turvy. Most agents' only duty to the insured is salesman and advocate, beyond that they have no other duties. Yes, it's a bit of a cruel world, but the underwriting company always has the final say.

Cheers,
Austin

pilot fish:
That is what I said: Dive Assure sells the policy, collects the premium and places it with AIG. I'm not talking about agent in the insurance sense but agent in the leagal sense i.e.,once DA places the policy with AIG it does not absolve them from a duty to the insured. If I hire you to do some work on my house and you farm part of the work out to another party and they harm somone, whom do you think is responsible?

I quote Austin again for you:
"I can surely state that what Sharon is saying is correct...the agent very rarely gets involved if they were not directly informed by the insured (either at the beginning of the claim-filing process or if there is a problem)"

This is how things are. I don't know what more I can say.

DiveAssure:
I quote Austin again for you:
"I can surely state that what Sharon is saying is correct...the agent very rarely gets involved if they were not directly informed by the insured (either at the beginning of the claim-filing process or if there is a problem)"

This is how things are. I don't know what more I can say.
\
You said enough and I appreciate your input. Now divers will know better what to expect and how to expedite their claim.

Pilot, have you ever bought a car? Who is responsible for the actual car? The dealer or the manufacturer? Think before you assign blame. The dealer is DiveAssure the manufacturer is AIG. The dealer can and will go to bat for you, but in the end the manufacturer AIG has to agree to pay/fix the problem.

Back
Top Bottom