Divemaster question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atlas750

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just completed my DM course and got my insurance. I did this for fun and enjoyment not for money, but how much do DM's get paid for a class or do they? Also do we qualify for any discounts? Thanks for the info.

all depends on your LDS and if you are on staff with them, etc.... for the shop I work out of yes, the DM's {on staff) do get paid for the classes they work and they do get a shop discount.
As far as the "exact" amount... that I'm not exactly sure of.
Hope this helps

atlas750:
Just completed my DM course and got my insurance. I did this for fun and enjoyment not for money, but how much do DM's get paid for a class or do they? Also do we qualify for any discounts? Thanks for the info.

CONGRATS on your hard work and effort...........
Welcome to the newbie DM club!! To answer your question....it all depends on the local shop you DM for,,,,or if independant....the custom of the instr. you are working with. I am very lucky to be on staff (DM) and a pt employee of a very good shop here in Arlington,,,,the owners really go way out of their way to take care of all the staff (DM and instr.). For the most part DM's recieve almost no pay...maybe a lunch/dinner or cost to get into a dive site. Many times you will get discounts on gear from your local shop. Our shop offers all the above plus a few other perks! The main thing is that you enjoy yourself and have fun,,,,,be safe and enjoy your new Professional Diver status helping others to enjoy and grow in our wonderful sport!!

Not looking for an exact amount, just a ballpark est.

atlas750:

With respect to my shop I can not even ballpark you a figure....I can say that it is a token amount (hobby money),,, the real payment is in knowing you are helping someone learn and grow into a cool sport. I would recomm. you start a relationship with a local shop and show interest in their business and offer your help.

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to getting started. I had alot of fun and have learned alot with the classes I helped with during my training.

DMs really don't get paid by the vast majority of LDS. Instructors will buy a lunch or dinner, teach a specialty to them for cost, etc. Most LDS give a discount to their DMs. If yours doesn't, find another LDS.

as an instructor I get $165.00 for a class, that's pool/classroom, and OW. not much but I don't do it for the $$$, I do it because I love teaching. That combined with the shop discount and maybe lunch/dinner.

atlas750:

The amounts vary regionally and they vary quite a bit depending on how much the shop/instructor values your service. Compensation ranges from zero (quite common) to about 1/2 of what an instructor makes for a course.

Assuming you have a regular gig then I would look for it to cover expenses, which means you make enough to cover today's expenses, plus air, maintenance on gear and with enough extra to have a modest gear and training budget.

If you don't have a regular gig then your chances of getting any compensation are drastically reduced.

R..

Glad you brought this up since I was curious about others. At our LDS we work for the experience and joy of diving but they did recently add some small perks: Divemasters get what amounts to gas money, a 15% discount on equipment purchases, free park admission when assisting with classes only, free air at all times, discounted nitrox, & a shop t-shirt. The instructors are all different- some will buy us lunch, some will mention to students that DM's work for tips... doesnt matter, it's all good and exceptionally rewarding. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom