Divemaster Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While this is much I like about NAUI, I find the PADI DM materials to be better.
That's a bit like comparing pears to kumquats :biggrin:, as NAUI puts all the physics and other academics in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course, leaving only the actual leadership content in the DM materials. Since they cover more content, I'd certainly *hope* the PADI DM materials would have more in them than the NAUI DM materials. :D

That's a bit like comparing pears to kumquats :biggrin:, as NAUI puts all the physics and other academics in the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course, leaving only the actual leadership content in the DM materials. Since they cover more content, I'd certainly *hope* the PADI DM materials would have more in them than the NAUI DM materials. :D

you are correct ClayJan, I meant my comments specifically to the leadership stuff in the PADI Divemaster manual, not the Knowledge workbook. I am comparing chapters 1 - 3 and 6 in PADI DIVEMASTER Manual to chapters 2,3,5,6, &10 in the NAUI Leadership and Instruction Guide.

It's just an opinion that I like the PADI material and content better - to each his own ;-)

Last edited:
It basically boils down to figuring out where you want to work and finding out which has more jobs in that area, or who you want to work for and what agency they use.

Pretty much to each his own. One thing to consider is who the instructor you are wanting to work for is affiliated with. To assist a PADI class, you must be a PADI certified assistant. (DM,AI, Instructor) It's my understanding that NAUI is more flexible and a PADI DM can assist a NAUI class at the Instructor's discretion.

Thanks again folks!

I'm doing some more "market research"! I appreciate the input! I know how busy the day can be!

-Boats

While the intstructor is important, agency becomes more important at the professional level than at student level. How well an agency supports you, and the reputation and brand name affect your success. Yes, you can cross over, but why spend more money. I like PADI because they are the most well known, they are a business and thus pursue success and do not nanny along failure, they have the best infrastructure for divers and pros, they have the most locations and thus jobs for pros, they have the best materials, and the widest variety of opportunaties for pros. BAsically, if you just want to help out on a boat, and agency will do. If you want to succeed and grow as a pro, PADI is the best path for that, IMO.

Howdy!

I'm new to the board, and I've decided to move forward with my skills! Well, more along the professional level!

I've seen some posts of people who switched from PADI to NAUI, and was wondering which organization is the best. Or, is it just a matter of preferance? I'm curious about the Dive Master program(s).

Would enjoy some 3rd party insight! My thanks! :D

- Boats

Geez, Todd, you move to Florida and decide to totally turn your life inside out! Are you having a midlife crisis?:rofl3:

I've never even seen a NAUI dive centre/school. Outside of the US and the Caribbean, PADI certs are the only ones to have (for recreational diving)

Just like what others said, there is not that much of a difference Chevy or Ford. I think a lot of it also depends on the dive shop. I almost changed from PADI to NAUI and once I learned what the dive shop was doing I changed my mind. Get with a good group of Instructors and it really doesn’t matter which agency you below to. It’s all in the experience you learn.

Just like what others said, there is not that much of a difference Chevy or Ford. I think a lot of it also depends on the dive shop. I almost changed from PADI to NAUI and once I learned what the dive shop was doing I changed my mind. Get with a good group of Instructors and it really doesn’t matter which agency you below to. It’s all in the experience you learn.

Very good point. I switched shop loyalties as a diver because of professionalism and friendliness of one shop over another, and now I'm getting my DM/AI (DiveCon - I'm now with SSI) certification with my "new" shop because I wanted that certification and because I really, really want to be a part of working with this great group of professionals. For me it's much more about who I'm working with along with what my opportunities are than what agency name is on my card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom