Divemaster Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy!

I'm new to the board, and I've decided to move forward with my skills! Well, more along the professional level!

I've seen some posts of people who switched from PADI to NAUI, and was wondering which organization is the best. Or, is it just a matter of preferance? I'm curious about the Dive Master program(s).

Would enjoy some 3rd party insight! My thanks! :D

- Boats
i like PADI better they have a great travel net work. And Great member support.Also there are more PADI shops than any outher agency.

I've never even seen a NAUI dive centre/school. Outside of the US and the Caribbean, PADI certs are the only ones to have (for recreational diving)

Have you ever travel outside the US or Caribbean? NAUI has shops all over the world- I have worked for a few in Thailand, Australia, Fiji, Indonesia, Phillipines have had NAUI shops send groups to dive at my shop in Japan from England, Italy, France, Canada, Hong Kong, China and numerous other countries.

NAUI is definately worldwide - see there website for a full listing of shops. I also believe their training materials are second to none and the freedom to teach that NAUI allows makes working with them much easier than other agencies.

Have you ever travel outside the US or Caribbean? NAUI has shops all over the world

Far fewer than other agencies. I've never come across a single NAUI diver anywhere ive worked in europe, nor have i seen a NAUI school in those areas.

Maybe 1 day i'll meet a NAUI diver but im not holding my breath. In some areas they may have a presence but in large parts of the world they simply don't exist.

If you want to have the option to work in most countries than padi really is the best option in terms of numbers of dive centres and therefore employment. Without getting into debate about standards the brutal truth is there are far more padi centres around than naui,bsac and so on. Yes in *some* geographical areas other agencies may have more of a presence than elsewhere but worldwide, no.
If you only want to work/teach locally and you happen to have a naui store in your area then its fine - if you want to go further afield then its far more of an issue.

Edit:- for a real laugh try the NAUI dive centre locator on their site. Finds loads for the USA, the only UK entry it has is somewhere in the turks and caicos islands - not bad - only 4000 miles out. None for Greece, Spain, France, Italy etc. Even googling for "Naui UK" and so on turns up exactly zero dive centres.

Back
Top Bottom