Divemaster Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's correct 4 weeks and 74 dives, we've constructed it in a way that it will push their physical and mental limits for sure after seeing and taking pat in some internships etc most of them do not even have the basics the idea of this is they live and breath diving 6 days a week. We've worked closely with a number of companies and included external sources ranging from health professionals to psychologists to see how feasible it is and we have also tested the course with a few candidates to see how they cope.

Surprisingly it worked very well the issue with standardised training is that most of the time divers are not mentally/physically prepared to handled situations, in turn they are falsely prepared if something happens. Our candidates are made to react to situations constantly through the course and mostly without warning, as for the fitness training we've all come across DM's that can barely carry a tank or even tell you what a bloody first stage is we're intending on this being a consistent learning experience even after they've finished the camp.

I hope that answers some of your question / concerns.

They still have no real world experience. Only time in the water and being able to dive in all kinds of different conditions will gain you the proper experience to become a DM. I had dove for about 5 years and about 200 or 300 dives before I did my DM course and I found out I still had a lot to learn. 4 weeks of military style training doesn't make a good experienced dm. I still would never hire or let one one these guys lead a dive for me.

Ah, I was waiting for this one. Our conditions are ideal especially during the winter as it provides tougher conditions this isn't for people that want to dive in luxury all of the time it's for people that want to become something more which is why we have generated incentives to hit certain targets. if this was a zero to hero program that's what we would have called it because they're not heroes after finishing this they're Divemasters that can handle more than most divers we are not looking to make masses of money with this as is reflected in the cost we want to create a better more focused class of diver I have done re-fresher course with all levels and they don't have even the basics drilled in to them because people are too scared to fail someone because of their "reputation" we are drilling everything in to them that they NEED to know not how to sell PADI additions etc which is why we have our own test's in place.

I hope that clarifies some areas for you. :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

Additionally we have put the numbers at 74 so they continue past the point of being a "competent" DM. We have also offered up the free diving for life 10 per annum so that they keep it going even once they've passed the course that comes out of our pocket as we want to make sure that people are continuing to dive each year or at the least 2 years hence the condition that you cannot just do the course and expect that you can dive a few years into the future at the same level. This all works towards them bringing up their dives and continued education .

I hope that helps. :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

I couldn't agree more and that's why it's so important that they need continued education even after the camp as do interns I came in to diving through an intern program and it was a huge waste of time and energy because I was made to believe that I was ready to do things that I wasn't.

This is the same story over and over I'm not expecting to win all of you guy's over and say what a great idea etc this is because we all have known cronies in our industry so it will take time to understand that we're for real and we are dedicated to teaching people what they need to know so honestly the more holes you guy's can poke the better for us because just like them we need to make sure we're prepared hence asking for your thought's. :) so please the more the merrier tear it apart and find everything you can that's what I want.

I need to know that we've covered the basics because the same story you spend to long looking at something you become blind to it so I would like honest constructive opinions and thoughts. :) thank you.

"Tougher conditions" So they wear neoprene drysuits, full thermal underwear, and 20lbs. of lead strapped to their ass. Do they dive in 38F(3C) to 42F(5C) degree water, current up to 7 or 8 knots, back eddies, 5 to 6 foot waves, with vis down to less than a foot at times, because that's my back yard that I dive in. You keep convincing yourself because there is no way in hell you will ever convince me you can pump out a "competent" DM in your 74 dive zero to hero program for tropical aquarium diving little lone where I and a lot of others on here dive. To suggest that is an insult to me and all the others that have put in their dues while getting their DM cert.

You'll find little love on Scubaboard for these so-called "zero to hero" programs. Have you seen previous threads? Google this:

site:scubaboard.com "zero to hero"

Actual yes to most of that apart from the dry suits and thermals we supply appropriate protection 7mm wetsuit with hood in temps of around 10c I'm going to take it that you've not dived around here a lot? So I am sorry to disappoint but you've just proven my point about education my friend we don't quite reach 6 metres of waves but during rougher weather which is pretty common on and off outside of the summer than 4-5 metres isn't all that unheard of. And you definitely haven't dived this way because there are a number of occasions where we've had to call dives because of less than .5 of a metre vis. I would suggest that you pose everything more constructively in future to save yourself the embarrassment.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 07:16 PM ----------

I covered this in a previous reply, we did not state that they're ready to lead dives and have enough experience to take peoples lives in their hands what we're talking about is that they obtain skills that they would not have as an open water or rescue dive for instance everyone seems very hung up on the wrong thing here?

I hope that clarifies things for people. :)

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 07:22 PM ----------

Hi Loren sorry you may have missed this is not a zero to hero program I have covered this previously does anyone read the replies? they're not heroes they are DM's ie: they obtain skill set's they're not ready at 74 dives to go off a lead dives and if any pays attention to how most internships work then they may realise that on a 3-4 month internship there is an issue these so called DM's are leading dives normally either without being certified or have not during their time as an intern or the training is rushed prior to peak season I think some have a very closed view of how this industry actually operates.

We're coming here with a view to give people a skill set not say they're ready for work or anything close at least this way people are monitored very closely at all times not having attention divided between teach an intern and also leading a dive or teaching someone else?

Do you dive in drysuits? that would be a NO,
Do you dive in really "cold water? that would be a NO
Do you dive in heavy current? that would be a NO
Do you dive in bad vis? that would be a NO

You diveYou call dives because of less than 2ft. (.5 M) what a joke. We would only dive half the time up here if we did that. Getting a little defensive because the truth hurts? You are the one that is embarrassing yourself buddy. Your zero to hero program is no better than any of the others. You are delusional and I'm done with you.

Hmmmm strange sorry yes, we take the safety of our divers very seriously I do not want to lose a diver and have them panic so if they feel uncomfortable or we do not feel that they are suitably qualified then we do not take them.

Strange that you find me taking peoples safety seriously my friend, as I stated I'm not looking to get everyone on board and I have come here asking for "constructive" criticism not an argument.

Sorry if you have felt offended in anyway.

While you're at it, why don't you add a fifth week: the candidate's choice of full cave or AN/DP/trimix? Give Darwin a chance to weed out the weak ones...

P.S.: This is meant to be facetious, not an actual suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom