DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has taken a while to answer this as it is a good point. Pretty much all people in the diving community care about other divers. None of us want the reputation of diving killing people.

I do care about people. In the case of the incident I wrote about, the guy's kit was horrible; a cobbled-together Frankenstein rig that was the antithesis of the DIR rig I was diving. However, I do see other types of rigs on my travels, for example these two which have thousands of dives on them. It's really not about the rig, but about the way it's used. Similarly people's gas choices where, unlike the snobbery frequenting these boards, many people still use deep air.

So, what can you do? And where would you draw the line?

Diving is not about enforcing particular configs. Although maybe that's the case for some people :cool:
Diving is about diving and learning how to dive in your environment.

In essence, if "I" consider your rig to be unconventional, what gives "me" the right to interrogate you about it? I’m not special constable Wibble of the dive police, nor blessed with 20/20 foresight. I'm just a diver who's paid for my space and am looking forwards to a dive.

Generally, it's not about the kit config, it's about the way that person dives.

I guess if I was to rock up at some random location for a dive boat, I'd be expecting to follow their rules. I'm unlikely to choose a "recreational" boat as I want a long, peaceful and enjoyable dive away from other people. Technical boats are different. You don't book on them unless you've the experience to do their planned dives. Am pretty certain that should someone rock up for a 60m/200ft dive with a single ali80 and no deco stages that the person would be quickly dealt with.

As with everything, there's degrees of crappyness. At one extreme there's the OW kit for a deep technical dive which is obviously wrong -- that dive is just not possible on a single. But what about the cobbled-together doubles rig with a back-mounted decompression cylinder and multiple second stages? That's not a great look but it's perfectly diveable given the right skills and experience. Similarly gas choices.

In the end, it's the skills that kills. Skills include planning, practice and experience. Those are really difficult to determine unless you want to do an assessment dive with someone.

This, in spades.
I’ve still git one of those jackets, but haven’t used it in 20 years or so.

So anyone who give unsolicited advice is a ScubaKaren?
Anyone? No. But I've seen them on the boat. I'm sure you have too. Well meaning know-it-alls that can't stand people who don't dive like them. The OP documented one such person.

I've seen a lot of kit over the years. There's a lot of it I wouldn't dive. Someone decided it was good for them. Who am I to disagree? They are there to have fun, not be lectured by a fat old curmudgeon who's a legend in his own mind. I feel no need to set the world straight on how to dive. That doesn't mean I don't have opinions, just that I keep them to myself. I let my diving speak for itself. A few divers see how I dive and will ask. I have no problems helping those divers.

If you don't want to give any advice, fine. But saying that anyone who does is a ScubaKaren is....bashing.
I see what you did there, cheeky fellow.

Maybe the OP was the main point: for a "non-DIR diver", the kit and config is very different to their experience. The minor pile-in from other experienced divers demonstrates what can happen if you aren't diplomatic with your questioning of someone else's kit and experience.

We all assume that the person has some experience and doesn't want to die.

I always look at how other people rig their gear.
I find it interesting,
I probably wouldn't criticize it until I saw them dive, if it was a hot mess I would maybe say something.
If it wasn't, I learned something.

If it was super dangerous, I definitely would ask a question or two. But all in time and context, read the room.

If you are a newbie do what you where taught. But be observant, ask semi intelligent questions. Usually you can tell if someone knows what they are doing, and if they are competent, then learn, I am still learning....

I crewed on a dive boat in the Northeast for some years, and people with a thin skin never came back. The captain kept a video camera on the dash and recorded everyone's most awkward moments, which were shown at the boat Christmas party in all their appalling glory while everyone howled.

Quick story on the topic of scuba "Karens", and gear: On a boat a few years back I had just finished setting up my gear, seated on the bench. In front of me was my gear bag, upon which rested a three inch “spring clamp”,aka “suicide clamp”. A woman diver came by and noted the clamp. She began the lecture by pointing to it, and informing me how dangerous those "suicide" clamps were. I told her thanks for the information but I was aware of it. Before I could go any further, she continued on, and on. Her husband tried to steer her away to no/ minimal avail. I smiled, nodded, then used the clamp to secure a strap around my bag so it would store more neatly under the bench. I must admit I enjoyed the shade of red she turned as she walked back to her gear station.

Quick story on the topic of scuba "Karens", and gear: On a boat a few years back I had just finished setting up my gear, seated on the bench. In front of me was my gear bag, upon which rested a three inch “spring clamp”,aka “suicide clamp”. A woman diver came by and noted the clamp. She began the lecture by pointing to it, and informing me how dangerous those "suicide" clamps were. I told her thanks for the information but I was aware of it. Before I could go any further, she continued on, and on. Her husband tried to steer her away to no/ minimal avail. I smiled, nodded, then used the clamp to secure a strap around my bag so it would store more neatly under the bench. I must admit I enjoyed the shade of red she turned as she walked back to her gear station.
Are you referring to a snap-hook carabiner sort of thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom