DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. Many names, I'm not sure what the official name is.
Suicide clip works fine. It's a hard no in a cave, though I have seen them, but a soft no in OW.

Suicide clip works fine. It's a hard no in a cave, though I have seen them, but a soft no in OW.
The biggest thing we worried about diving in OW with a gate clip or suicide clip like many like to call it, is not so much catching and clipping something unwanted like line, but more that something clipped off with one can loop around opening the clip and you can lose stuff.
Bolt snaps won’t do that.

The biggest thing we worried about diving in OW with a gate clip or suicide clip like many like to call it, is not so much catching and clipping something unwanted like line, but more that something clipped off with one can loop around opening the clip and you can lose stuff.
I cant see the logic in divers paranoia of gate clips, climbers have used them for 100 years without an issue

Bolt snaps can clog up and jam in muddy or sandy conditions.
Carabiner style clips don’t.

You can’t see the difference in diving and climbing?
read erics post more carefully

I cant see the logic in divers paranoia of gate clips, climbers have used them for 100 years without an issue
Eh, there’s no shortage of incidents where rope unclips an unlocked biner or non-locker. Locks and opposite/opposed are all attempts to mitigate (amongst other solutions). I think it’s the load bearing properties that make traditional carabiner design still the norm but culture eats strategy for lunch. Biners ain’t goin no where.

Eh, there’s no shortage of incidents where rope unclips an unlocked biner or non-locker. Locks and opposite/opposed are all attempts to mitigate (amongst other solutions). I think it’s the load bearing properties that make traditional carabiner design still the norm but culture eats strategy for lunch. Biners ain’t goin no where.
you are correct but if you investigate the reasons why they open they invariably involve a carabiner that has the rope clipped incorrectly or has a twisted tape extension or has rotated due to the rope having too much zig zagging. All of which involve dynamic loading from a (usually) falling climber which is not present in diving. Id guess theres as much if not more chance of inadvertently unclipping a double ender when entering the water.

The dog clip type catches are used because they aren't using thick line like climbers do

In over 15 years of being a professional climber ive seen it happen once -but id be interested in hearing about any diver that has had a life threatening issue of having a carabiner clipping or unclipping

Bolt snaps can clog up and jam in muddy or sandy conditions.
Carabiner style clips don’t.
They do too because of corrosion.

you are correct but if you investigate the reasons why they open they invariably involve a carabiner that has the rope clipped incorrectly or has a twisted tape extension or has rotated due to the rope having too much zig zagging. All of which involve dynamic loading from a (usually) falling climber which is not present in diving. Id guess theres as much if not more chance of inadvertently unclipping a double ender when entering the water.

The dog clip type catches are used because they aren't using thick line like climbers do

In over 15 years of being a professional climber ive seen it happen once -but id be interested in hearing about any diver that has had a life threatening issue of having a carabiner clipping or unclipping
I recall an incident maybe in the keys where a carabiner clipped into maybe fishing line resulting in diver death. I don’t know the specifics, it’s been years.

For me, I just don’t even wanna have the chance. There’s more than enough nonsense to get snagged up on and carabiners don’t give any advantage over bolt snaps. A friend of mine had the bottom boltsnap on a stage get dirt in it or whatever and stick open. I **** you not that open boltsnap snagged the cave line.

Real life gremlins on these dives. The less options I give them to do their dirty work the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom