Diver bit off Jupiter during shark feed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada,start a new thread if you feel like beating that horse.I put this up strictly for information on the incident.

scubadada,start a new thread if you feel like beating that horse.I put this up strictly for information on the incident.
Actually there is already a thread by DandyDon in the A&I forum for that. I agree that the argument is old news but it would be somewhat hypocritical not to at least acknowledge the fact that a shark bite occurred while being feed.

Did a little Googling and didn't turn anything up. Strange; I'd think after a day someone who knew more details would be talking.

I'd think anyone going on these dives is aware of accepting some level of risk, but naturally we'd like to know details. Was the person bitten holding food at the time? Was this a bite on the hand or arm, a 'misfire,' or a more deliberate bite targeting the person? What species?

There aren't any shark feeding schools. It's inevitable that a feeder will get bit eventually. I can't think of a feeder that I know personally that hasn't been nipped, bit, or at least dragged a hand across a tooth.

Not a job I plan to apply for!

Of course, for many of us the question will be, how much of a hazard is there to customers on such dives? I imagine staff handling food & handing it to the sharks would be at higher risk than customers doing neither and at a bit more distance. Not zero risk either way, but what dive is?

Richard.

Excellent damage control by whomever the operator is. Really surprised the media didn't bite more into this story. Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Very true, it is either damage control, or the incident was so minor that there was no real injury bad enough for the bloodthirsty media to follow-up. Still, it seems strange that no one in the West Palm/Jupiter dive community has heard something and posted here.

Excellent damage control by whomever the operator is. Really surprised the media didn't bite more into this story. Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Ummm. It happens fairly often. 3 or 4 times per year? Some operators are getting smarter about not blabbing about the stupid things that happen.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

Of course, for many of us the question will be, how much of a hazard is there to customers on such dives? I imagine staff handling food & handing it to the sharks would be at higher risk than customers doing neither and at a bit more distance. Not zero risk either way, but what dive is?

Richard.

Ask the German guy who died....

Actually, a well run operation like 333 Productions has not had a injury of a customer, and most operations have not had customer injuries. Good briefings, attentive divemasters, and smart shark wranglers who do not frenzy the sharks and make them crazy is what you need to find.

Very true, it is either damage control, or the incident was so minor that there was no real injury bad enough for the bloodthirsty media to follow-up. Still, it seems strange that no one in the West Palm/Jupiter dive community has heard something and posted here.

From what I heard it was both. I don't have many details, but I do know the injury was minor. I can see why it would be kept low-key - reading over on Spearboard one poster's reaction to hearing it wasn't serious was, "Oh well, maybe next time!" Compared to some in the community and media, sharks are downright polite when there's blood in the water.

I agree with Wookie - it is something that comes with a risk. I have a coworker who rags me that someone's going to get bit on one of these trips and my answer is "Yeah, probably." Then again, I commute in Miami and I've had some mornings where I've had three close calls on the way to work. Personally speaking, my top worry on those trips is always just a run-of-the-mill diving accident - I like to spend my first 10 minutes or so on the deep ledge down at 120-130 putting a small dent in the lionfish population.

Actually there is already a thread by DandyDon in the A&I forum for that. I agree that the argument is old news but it would be somewhat hypocritical not to at least acknowledge the fact that a shark bite occurred while being feed.

No additional details in the A&I thread. Why so secretive, I'm sure several locals are aware of the specifics even if it is not in the media? Some may be weary of discussing the pros and cons of shark feeding, on the other hand, so to speak, some would be interested in an injury on one of these dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom