Diver bit off Jupiter during shark feed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No additional details in the A&I thread. Why so secretive, I'm sure several locals are aware of the specifics even if it is not in the media? Some may be weary of discussing the pros and cons of shark feeding, on the other hand, so to speak, some would be interested in an injury on one of these dives

For an operator, there is no upside of this discussion. There is nothing he can say that an "interested observer" needs to know, and in such a discussion opens himself up to ridicule, derision, and possible increased regulation.

No additional details in the A&I thread. Why so secretive, I'm sure several locals are aware of the specifics even if it is not in the media? Some may be weary of discussing the pros and cons of shark feeding, on the other hand, so to speak, some would be interested in an injury on one of these dives

When I took my Rescue Diver course, one of the things that was stressed by my instructor is to not talk to the media (or social media) after an incident. Let the family, the victim, the operator do that if they want to. I don't recall if that cautionary advice was part of the PADI course or just something my instructor added. Maybe those involved are just following a similar protocol.

I'm glad the diver is OK in this case. Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes these sorts of shark dives, I don't think anyone really wants to see a fellow diver get hurt. I'll probably never cave dive, but I don't want to see a diver get hurt or die doing that either.

for an operator, there is no upside of this discussion. There is nothing he can say that an "interested observer" needs to know, and in such a discussion opens himself up to ridicule, derision, and possible increased regulation.

when i took my rescue diver course, one of the things that was stressed by my instructor is to not talk to the media (or social media) after an incident. Let the family, the victim, the operator do that if they want to. I don't recall if that cautionary advice was part of the padi course or just something my instructor added. Maybe those involved are just following a similar protocol.

I'm glad the diver is ok in this case. Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes these sorts of shark dives, i don't think anyone really wants to see a fellow diver get hurt. I'll probably never cave dive, but i don't want to see a diver get hurt or die doing that either.

ok...

The issue is not that a diver feeding sharks was bitten, it is inevitable and will continue as long as self proclaimed shark experts promote the activity. The elephant in the room that seems to go with out note is asking the question, what happens when sharks become conditioned to associating divers with food encounter divers having nothing to feed them?

The issue is not that a diver feeding sharks was bitten, it is inevitable and will continue as long as self proclaimed shark experts promote the activity. The elephant in the room that seems to go with out note is asking the question, what happens when sharks become conditioned to associating divers with food encounter divers having nothing to feed them?
Most of the shark experts I have spoken with, insist that when the food is gone, or there is no bait to attract, the sharks can't be bothered to hang around the divers.
In other words, they are saying that the sharks are not associating the divers with food....much like when their is a natural feeding event like a large carcass of a whale or anything else...there are plenty of groupers and other levels of predator fish that will always show up for a carcass event....and they are just competitors for the feeding....the sharks do not change their behavior to these fish, due to their continually showing up for kills.

This was not the way I FIRST LOOKED at the feeding of sharks...of course, I used the "dont feed the bears" thinking....The thing is, is does not seem to apply well....Maybe we are more like the birds trying to feed off a lion kill....the lions dont start associating the vultures with eating--and then try to eat the vultures.

Now I do know sharks have associated the noise of a speargun firing, with eating...very Pavlovian. But they dont seem to care about us...just the speargun noise.

Glad it wasn't a major injury, regardless of anyone's opinion of shark feeding.

I agree about the ignorant media spinning things up. Stuff like this drives me crazy:

Shark Bites Man On Residents' Beach In Marco Island, FL

and these stories are repeated in the major news outlets as well. and they always use a picture of a great white when the story is about a 4 foot reef shark.

Strange that the name hasn't leaked. I've heard from regular divers aboard Emerald, Calypso & Florida Shark Diving that say the incident wasn't with them. That only leaves one op that I know of and given his press in the past it doesn't surprise me that nobody is talking. It would be great if somebody could clear this up.

Even if the injury is minor (which I am very grateful to hear), it would be useful to know the details of what happened. It could offer some insight on what activities might increase the danger of a bite and allow divers or even other operators to learn from the experience about how to conduct safer dives. That is the whole point of reporting and discussing incidents here.

The only other operator I knew doing this was Jim Abernethy who ran occasional shark trips, but I don't know if it was his boat or not. With this diving apparently getting more popular, there might be other operators trying it out.

Even if the injury is minor (which I am very grateful to hear), it would be useful to know the details of what happened. It could offer some insight on what activities might increase the danger of a bite and allow divers or even other operators to learn from the experience about how to conduct safer dives. That is the whole point of reporting and discussing incidents here.

The only other operator I knew doing this was Jim Abernethy who ran occasional shark trips, but I don't know if it was his boat or not. With this diving apparently getting more popular, there might be other operators trying it out.

Lessons learned. If you don't know what you are doing, and haven't apprenticed with someone who does know what they are doing, do not chum the water where sharks are likely to be, then reach into a milk crate of bloody fish bits and offer the bloody fish bit to a shark.

This is not rocket surgery. Don't feed the bears unless you know what you are doing. You've been to a zoo, you've seen the keepers feed the big kitties. You can do this safely. The zoo keepers do not invite you into the cage to hold a bloody meat chunk out to the nice kitty, because you might get bit.

Seems pretty simple to me, nd I don't even know who the operator is, I just figured that out by my little self.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom