Diver collapses off Cape Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep- there were divers in the water. I had been out with them a few seasons ago, it was a very different story. But to those of you defending the salvaging op- this is the problem: safety concerns aside, they do not have salvage rights to the vessel. They are claim jumping, basically. The other issue is the salvaging of items just for scrap metal, as opposed to being used as an 'artifact' gives all wreck divers and boats a bad name.
As for the crew being incompetent- I truely do not think that. I won't name names, but the guy in the rebreather was 'somebody', hence the commercial grade video camera. His girlfriend was the one doing profiles she didn't understand. You can bet, his clout was why we left the dock over an hour behind schedule, and why (on a Sunday) we didn't get back until after 5 pm. I am sure that is why she was allowed to dive the way she dove. Just my take on it, maybe that is the way they are, but I doubt I'd be allowed to do a profile like that as one of the last in.....
-J

I agree that every time I have been on the Fish safety was never a concern for me either, but obviously something has changed. They never did any salvage work while I was on their boat even during the SI, but I saw with my own eyes them doing so with customer divers in the water.
That's clearly first hand observation of dangerous activities, and the Operator is welcome to post a rebuttal. For my possible diving money, clearly an Op to avoid...

I don't normally get mixed up in these threads, but feel I have to defend the captain and crew of the Flying Fish. I've dove with this group for many years, and they have ALWAYS done some level of salvage. Anybody elese who says that other NC dive operators don't do it hasn't been diving long enough off these shores (I've seen George rinse of oodles of diesel fuel from penetrating the sub, I've seen the mates pull up bags of teeth with Tom, I've seen others on pick up pipes and brass of all sorts from a variety of wrecks). The simple fact is, wihtout slavage most people would not be able to dive NC because the oeprators couldn't afford to stay in business. Its a brutal way to make a living, .and every edge in income the operators can get only benefits me the diver.

These guys are some of the best in the business. I trust them to do the right thing every time I go out, and they have never let me down. I will not only use them again, I will recommend them again. Walk a mile (swim a fathom) in their fins before you go condeming them .

Last edited:
I agree that every time I have been on the Fish safety was never a concern for me either, but obviously something has changed. They never did any salvage work while I was on their boat even during the SI, but I saw with my own eyes them doing so with customer divers in the water.

I was out with them in April and don't recall seeing anyone doing any salvage while we were in the water.

Just sayin.

I was out with them in April also & as I said they did NOT do anything other than some free-diving spearing during our SI, but the report you quoted was in August & I was with a different OP, but we were on the same wreck as April, The British Splendour.
I also would dive with them again, I am totally self reliant & require no assistance from the crew, although that could not be said for more than 1/2 the boat that day.

.......I am totally self reliant & require no assistance from the crew......

I am not questioning your abilities or skill levels at all here RAD. I am simply saying this for the benefit of others that may be reading this thread. A dive accident has a wonderful way of humbling all of us. Even the most competent diver can have an accident that will require surface assistance. And it is in this situation that we do not want the entire crew off salvaging a tube or spreafishing their dinner.

No problem there & I understand what you are saying.
I just believe training , equipment & ability to use said will reduce chances of being a statistic.
I will say that only 1 member of the crew was spearing & they carry at least 4 DMs & the Capt.
They also only did this when everyone was back on board doing SI.
Which is why the current events are so unbelievable, but I did see it 1st hand.

A few answered questions will help everyone see if conducting a scrap salvage operation while also conducting a charter service at the same time is a safe thing to do.

Does the business advise the divers that this will be going on at the time of booking, departure, and on site?
How many other operations are doing this there?
How many anywhere?
How many accidents has the charter service had this year?
How many for the same area for the other operations?
Is it possible that one of the lift bags could fail and the large pipes sink down on a diver below?
How is this metal stored and transported on the vessel?
Is it possible that the metal could shift during transportation (on the ocean)and injure someone?
Does this really seem right?

Lots of good questions there that most of us that have been around ask.

Those who have seen my posts on local boards, know I am one who wants to see all of our local ops make it. I do my best to "spread the love" hitting multiple NC ops each year. That said, you won't catch me stepping foot on this boat.

Since I haven't personally seen the way these guys are salvaging, and if they are disregarding the safety of their divers let me focus on the other aspect of this. These guys are RAPING our dive sites. Taking artifacts off a wreck is one thing- I have a very nice brass valve sitting on my mantle as we speak, someone mentioned the guns etc that George pulled off the wrecks. In my mind that is very different than pulling the wreck apart for scrap.

There were rumors earlier this year about the flying fish using heavy dredge equipment to pull up Meg teeth in the mean time destroying the surrounding reef. This rumor has been since verified by 3 different sources.

NOAA is making motions that they are going to designate NC wrecks as a sanctuary it is because of these kind of actions.

Basically these guys are screwing over every diver who dives NC for a couple bucks a pound.

They've had a lot of incidents on their boat this year and in recent years- is it the DMs and Crew engaged in goal oriented dives that are causing the problem, or is it bad Karma coming from the dive gods who knows. I just know I ain't gonna dive with them to find out. There are other ops in Hatteras.

Back
Top Bottom