Diver dead at Tobermory, Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think it is a lot of police involvement at all. I only say this because to put as complete a picture together as possible you need 100% of the diver's gear. So to have lots of people trying to find a missing piece of his gear makes sense to me. I do not think it implies anything other than they need all his gear.

Reactions: Jax
I was also on the Laura J on Sunday afternoon. I was the first diver in the water, and my dive buddy was the last. The victim was the second last diver to enter the water. He was quiet and withdrawn on the ride out to the dive site, although his fiancee was chatty. He had some minor equipment issues remedied by the Captain before entering the water. He also seemed to hesitate on the line at 15', as if having problems clearing. The victim's yellow fin was sitting on the wreck initially at about 60', was picked up by another diver. When the diver disappeared from view, we never saw another diver on the wreck. We descended down the east side of the wreck to the bottom and then started coming up the west side. There was a large silt cloud in front of us, so we went up and into the wreck. At 60' I looked over the west side of the hull and spotted a yellow fin on the bottom, which I retrieved at 70'. Water temp was 48°. The silt cloud was drifting deeper from that point. On ascending the line after what appeared to be a routine 55 minute dive, the coast guard vessel was just departing from the dive boat. I was advised of the full extent of the situation when I climbed the ladder to board the vessel. I can confirm that oxygen was on board and had been used. I was also advised that in water CPR had been attempted, and that the victim was found non-responsive on the bottom, mask on forehead and reg out of his mouth.

According to the victim's fiancee, this was their second attempt at diving the King. The first had been aborted when she had equipment issues with her BCD. They were relatively inexperienced and had been certified for about a year. They have a cottage at Tobermory and had both completed their open water training in Tobermory. The Coast Guard took the BCD, tank and regulator. I learned from an official source later that the equipment was all functioning normally. I learned from the victim's cottage neighbour (also on the boat) that the victim tended to be nervous and had previously suffered an anxiety attack while underwater. The post mortem is being held today and should provide some medical information on what happened.

My heart goes out to the victims family, to those divers who first responded and were visibly traumatized by the events, and to the boat captain who followed the proper protocols, maintained control and kept her composure until after safely docking the boat. The dive shop handled the situation well, followed up with everyone, and should be commended for appropriateness of their response.

Hi Dandyfb, I hope you are dealing with the emotional rollercoaster and coming to terms with the event. I was the Bare front zip drysuit diver on nitrox. My dive buddy wore a red Abyss drysuit.

I would clarify that the the victim's buddy was his fiancee, who ascended to the surface as the situation developed. I'm assuming she found his fin on the wreck, picked it up, and then dropped it before she ascended. She was taken from the water by the coast guard, taken to shore, checked out by a doctor and released. The young fellow who pulled him from the bottom, assisted by another pair of divers, was their cottage neighbour. I'm not sure whether he was paired with them or someone else. It was the first dive of the afternoon and things were a bit surreal on the boat ride home.

I dove the king on Saturday, and was there in Sunday morning (Forest City / Niagara 2). Damn I left at noon.

I hope you didn't really mean it that way......

The captain of that boat is fantastic. I've had her several times and she is extremely thorough in her briefings and an excellent captain. I heard that the situation was handled very well by the crew and dive shop. That dive shop is excellent and is always my shop of choice in Toby.

One person told me that there was no oxygen on board, which would surprise me, given my experience with the shop. There was oxygen on board my sister boat all weekend and when I was on that fateful boat yesterday, which was the next day. I'm quite sure that everything was done that could be done for the gentleman.

Don and Cruiser, all I know is when the police divers were gearing up to go in the water and when they left Tobermory. They could have stopped for a meal or any reason before they left the area for all I know. It seems reasonable to me that they were just trying to collect all missing pieces.

According to the victim's fiancee, this was their second attempt at diving the King. The first had been aborted when she had equipment issues with her BCD. They were relatively inexperienced and had been certified for about a year. They have a cottage at Tobermory and had both completed their open water training in Tobermory. The Coast Guard took the BCD, tank and regulator. I learned from an official source later that the equipment was all functioning normally. I learned from the victim's cottage neighbour (also on the boat) that the victim tended to be nervous and had previously suffered an anxiety attack while underwater.

Oh, dear God. It sounds like a dive that should have been thumbed.

One person told me that there was no oxygen on board, which would surprise me, given my experience with the shop. There was oxygen on board my sister boat all weekend and when I was on that fateful boat yesterday, which was the next day. I'm quite sure that everything was done that could be done for the gentleman.

There absolutely was an oxygen kit on board the Laura J on Sunday afternoon. The kit was opened, bits lying about the boat when I boarded. Anything that could have been done to rescucitate the victiim was done.

I would also note that the captain had no other crew. It was a fellow diver, one of the 3 that brought the victim to the surface and began cpr in the water, who assisted the captain. My hat goes off to the 3 newby divers for their efforts and ability to stay task focused and do what needed to be done.

Last edited:
I dove on the Laura J the same day and the 2 days prior with my group from Ottawa. The dive captain was extremely informative gave the best dive briefings and history lesson about not only the King which we dove Sunday morning but about all the dives we did over the 3 days. She had simple and easy to read diagrams that she drew on a white board and there was no question on the dives. She showed us the location of the O2 and went over all safety protocols and aspects of the Laura J. She operated with complete professionalism and was one of the best boat captains that I have seen. The captain was in previous times a nurse so everything that could of been done for this gentleman was. Divers Den was fabulous and top notch and we will use them again when we return to Tobermory.

My heart goes out to the captain, the family and all the divers for this past Sunday.

Please be well and pay tribute by being the safest divers that you can be.

I also asked if anyone suggested to the victim that he didn't need to do the dive if he didn't feel up to if for any reason, but they didn't know.

That is a very good question.

My dive buddy, Sandra, chatted with the victim's fiancee for most of the trip out to the wreck. He was quiet, and not part of the conversation - not totally unexpected as you gear up for the first dive. The social portion usually occurs during the surface interval. During that conversation, if there had been any hint of serious apprehension, Sandra would have given them our First Rule of Diving: If anyone is uncomfortable about a dive, they can cancel/abort the dive at any time, without prior notice, without explanation. There really is nothing worth dying for down there, and when your head is not in the game, that is when problems happen.

I wish he had mentioned a concern if he had one. However, I will reiterate, there was no evident indications of unusual apprehension that either of us were aware of, nor were there any conversations of that nature that we were aware of.

Back
Top Bottom