Diver dead at Tobermory, Lake Huron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get it.

Your previous post makes it sound like you were excited that someone died and wished you had been there. Most people are giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is not what you meant.

Ayisha:
I also asked if anyone suggested to the victim that he didn't need to do the dive if he didn't feel up to if for any reason, but they didn't know.

...I wish he had mentioned a concern if he had one. However, I will reiterate, there was no evident indications of unusual apprehension that either of us were aware of, nor were there any conversations of that nature that we were aware of.

The reason I asked that question of the person who told me most of the details was because the victim did mention a concern, as I had outlined in my first post. The person that I spoke to in depth was requested to give a statement to the police, so I'm sure it became part of the police record. I did not ask who the victim had that discussion with:

Ayisha:
He mentioned that he was not used to cold water and was uncertain about doing The King.

I am aware that he was trained last year. He was a student of one of my instructors, who was also there this weekend and shaken up about it. I think all of us who witnessed or heard about the events all weekend were very shaken up by it. Being asked to look for the weight belt and then having the police divers in front of us on the same wreck and boat that he died on was really disconcerting. Many divers called the dives that day and reassessed their involvement in diving...

Being asked to look for the weight belt and then having the police divers in front of us on the same wreck and boat that he died on was really disconcerting.
That alone would be pretty stressful, but then it's good to get a sobering reminder now and then.

Hi DRCI1075,

Thanks for the note. I hope you are doing ok.

The last two days have been difficult. While I did not personally know the victim other than sharing the same boat on the day, it was a traumatic experience. My heart went to those who found him, brought him up, helped him to the boat and tried to administer medical help while waiting for the Coast Guard to arrive.

I think I know who you are now. I was the second diver in the water, right after you. I was wearing Bare Elastek two-piece wetsuit and blue fins.

Safe dives to all.

Dandyfb, you may not have been thru Rescue class yet, and maybe have not heard this elsewhere - so I will try to offer some cautions about undeserved feelings possible just from being close to this accident. You can search the net about Post-traumatic stress and maybe find some info, altho the effect it can have on witnesses may not be well covered. A couple of suggestions...

Do Not accept any feelings of guilt, what-ifs, etc. Every diver is trained to deal with his/her own risk management and the decision to make the dive was his when he left the boat. There is a lot more to that, but enough for now.

Do accept help in dealing with any stress, talking this over with friends, a pastor or counselor, or us - as talking it out is best.

Click my name and PM me if I can assist here, ok...?

I was advised earlier this morning that Tobermory OPP issued a statement. The preliminary results from the autopsy indicate the diver in question suffered a massive heart attack on Sunday afternoon at the King.....

While I am still sad at the passing of a fellow diver, finding a medical cause for his death does help to provide some closure, reduces uncertainty, and will help my dive & life partner to overcome her survivor's guilt.

May Jan rest in peace.

So sorry -- I, too, hope it provides closure. God Bless.

Your previous post makes it sound like you were excited that someone died and wished you had been there. Most people are giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is not what you meant.
Whoops, I can see that now. I meant "That is terrible, it happened to a person I have possibly had contact with, and around people I did"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom