Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you have your c card and he had one he can go to 100ft.

He wanted to say he had done it one time and he thought he was safe and the DM never told he was not or didn't have the training so the guy probably thought he was.

Yes you are certified to go to 100ft with advanced you have to do a deep dive to 130ft to get you cert.

Once you have your c card and he had one he can go to 100ft.

NO, PADI advises a depth no deeper than 60 ft with just a basic OW card. You should be AOW to do 100 ft.

And equally the diver should not have chosen to dive beyond his training.

YES, that's true.

The problem I have with all of this is that during training they NEVER tell the students that a DM is just a guide and that YOU should not rely on them. That needs to be stressed in training for your C card.

LimLap, Whatever, I am not detroying anyones livihood. You weren't there. This DM was unprofessional from the start. Telling jokes, dancing, not doing a safety breifing. Knowing that he was a new diver. Not budding people up. Not do checks on air, No OK signs at all just taking off and leaving everyone to defend for themselves. One minor that hadn't had a dive in a year. We all told him of our experience. A DM's responsibility is to guide us on a dive point out cool stuff and make sure we are safe and get back to the boat, end of story and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a DM either!
Please accept my condolences for your friend's death. It is obviously an emotionally charged issue for you, and this might be a difficult discussion for you. You should be aware that the intent of this forum is to analyze diving accidents and deaths to try to glean some lessons other divers can use to make their dives safer.

A lot of divers have expectations of their divemasters that are different from yours. For example, I do not expect, or want, ok signs, checks on air, buddy assignments, or even pointing out cool things. I am okay with dancing and jokes. I take responsibility for my own safety, but I do expect a briefing on the dive site that includes enough information for me to navigate the site and anticipate hazards like current or tide. If this information is not volunteered, I ask. Were these factors in your friend's death?

LimLap, Whatever, I am not detroying anyones livihood. You weren't there. This DM was unprofessional from the start. Telling jokes, dancing, not doing a safety breifing. Knowing that he was a new diver. Not budding people up. Not do checks on air, No OK signs at all just taking off and leaving everyone to defend for themselves. One minor that hadn't had a dive in a year. We all told him of our experience. A DM's responsibility is to guide us on a dive point out cool stuff and make sure we are safe and get back to the boat, end of story and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be a DM either!

Was your friend a certified diver? Then what took his life, the jokes, the dancing or the not checkng his air? From where I sit, nothing you have said about the DM should cause a fatality to a certified diver.

Sorry for your loss though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom