Diver denied treatment at a Chamber in Panama City...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully the take away people get from this is to either call ahead yourself, or call DAN and have them coordinate with a hospital that will treat you in a chamber.

I thought calling DAN first was already the right thing to do when DCS was suspected?

Five chambers treating divers between New Orleans and Key West:

New Orleans, Louisiana
Mobile, Alabama
Orlando, Florida
?? Miaimi, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (two chambers in that area)

You'll have to get lawmakers and/or lobbies involved to change anything.

Five chambers treating divers between New Orleans and Key West:

New Orleans, Louisiana
Mobile, Alabama
Orlando, Florida
?? Miaimi, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (two chambers in that area)

You'll have to get lawmakers and/or lobbies involved to change anything.

I haven't read through the entire thread... may have been addressed already ----- BUT involving "law makers" with anything will be risking a whole bunch of legislation regulation with little or no productive result in dealing with the issue. Legislation to provide DC's in diving localities will almost always bring up the need and the actions of divers for such services. DO you really want that? historically, legislation of industry by people who have no clue as to how the industry works.

I haven't read through the entire thread... may have been addressed already ----- BUT involving "law makers" with anything will be risking a whole bunch of legislation regulation with little or no productive result in dealing with the issue. Legislation to provide DC's in diving localities will almost always bring up the need and the actions of divers for such services. DO you really want that? historically, legislation of industry by people who have no clue as to how the industry works.

Compared to what? The little or no productive result we have now? The chambers are already there, the providers are simply refusing to treat divers, and in some cases, saying that they will treat divers, and then refusing once the divers show up.

Civilization requires law and justice. There are plenty of places in this world that have less of both than we do, and I'm not particularly interested in any of them.

You're kidding...right? In water recompression? I'm glad I am closer to DAN (a couple of miles) than you. I know what they would say about that.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 02:18 AM ----------

Many hospitals use hyperbaric treatments for all other kinds of medical treatments that pay a lot more than diving emergencies. It is what they are geared up for that they think counts. Divers are few, other treatments are going to take preference.

Humm, do you know what DAN would say about it???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom