"Diver Down" Potato Salad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This dish went over pretty well at the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew meet & greet potluck at Gilboa. I'll share the recipe so that others can give it a try. It makes about a gallon of potato salad, enough to feed about 20 people if they all eat it.

Photo of salad:

attachment.php

Ingredients:

• Square tupperware container, a little over a gallon capacity
  • Giant mixing bowl & giant mixing spoon & giant boiling pot
  • 12 baking potatoes
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 sweet onion
  • 5 celery sticks
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 12 oz sweet relish
  • 1.5 tsp salt
  • dijon mustard
  • paprika

Procedure:

1. Peel the potatoes. If they are the long, skinny variety, slice them in half so that all the potato pieces are about the size of a billiard ball. They will cook faster that way.
  2. Boil the potatoes until they are "fork soft". Meaning you can stick a fork into them and they don't feel raw inside. It took mine about 20 minutes so you have an idea of how long it takes. Then set them aside to cool.
  3. Hard boil the eggs. Then set them aside to cool.
  4. Cut up the potatoes into small pieces. I like to make a variety of different sizes. They don't all have to be any particular size - but none larger than bite-size. Put them into a giant mixing bowl.
  5. Remove the egg shells and cut up the eggs. Add them to the mixing bowl.
  6. Cut up the onion. Since the recipe doesn't call for the whole onion, I take a few slices out of the middle and save those for hamburgers. The rest can be chopped up and put in the mixing bowl.
  7. Cut up the celery sticks. Cut against the grain, making a gazillion little horseshoe-shaped slices. They go in the mixing bowl.
  8. Add the cup of mayonaise.
  9. Add the 12 oz of sweet relish.
  10. Add the 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
  11. Add a giant squirt of dijon mustard. Put in as little or as much as you like (within reason).
  12. Mix the potato salad thouroughly with a big wooden spoon or something.
  13. Put the potato salad into a big square tupperware container. I used a 4.5 liter (1.2 gallon) rubbermaid square container. It is preferable that it be square, or maybe rectangular with the same proportions as a flag.
  14. Place a suitable utinsil, like a kitchen knife or long-handled spoon or spatula, diagonally across the salad. Shake paprika on the salad, so that the surface will be red but leave a white un-paprika'd stripe across it. You may have to do one half at a time and move the utinsil.
  15. Put it in the refrigerator overnight and you're done!

Have fun!

-Tiny-B.

Looks yummy!

Cool dive flag idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom