Diver fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flw once bubbled...
Please explain why I shouldn't go into decompression or 'push' the limits of ndl?
Assuming you do know what you're at, decompression diving does not make you spontaneously expire

Three assumptions are in my opinion required:

1) you know what youre at (i.e., you are properly trained); and
2) you are properly equipped; and
3) you have a proper support team.

Sport scuba diving of the 1960s and 1970s taught deco as a natural extension of scuba.

Today, deco is normally taught as something to be avoided at all costs, unless you meet all 3 of the above requirements.

Therefore, if you are diving with a single tank, deco is out of the question, under modern teaching and practice standards.

Similarly, pushing the NDL limits is not a good idea either, under modern teaching and practice standards. The main reason being the interval between the onset of DCS symptons and the arrival at the hyperbaric chamber is a risk interval. And unnecessary risk not not tolerated anymore. Several people have died trying it, and I suppose that is the difference, in a recreational industry.

FredT,

Thank you for a most informative overview of one of your typical "hunting" trips.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

Three assumptions are in my opinion required:

1) you know what youre at (i.e., you are properly trained); and
2) you are properly equipped; and
3) you have a proper support team.

Sport scuba diving of the 1960s and 1970s taught deco as a natural extension of scuba.

Today, deco is normally taught as something to be avoided at all costs, unless you meet all 3 of the above requirements.

Therefore, if you are diving with a single tank, deco is out of the question, under modern teaching and practice standards.

Similarly, pushing the NDL limits is not a good idea either, under modern teaching and practice standards. The main reason being the interval between the onset of DCS symptons and the arrival at the hyperbaric chamber is a risk interval. And unnecessary risk not not tolerated anymore. Several people have died trying it, and I suppose that is the difference, in a recreational industry.

Ah, I see - the real issue is we're on opposite sides of the Atlantic, depends entirely where you learn to dive really, here in the UK deco diving is taught from day one - you won't actually do it for some time, however the teaching is based on the assumption that at some time you will. A reasonable amount of deco is considered perfectly normal.
I don't remember single tanks being mentioned.
What appears in your final paragraph is an inbuilt fear of deco and the magic ndl line on the computer - you are not 'safe' on one side of the line, nor by definition are you 'unsafe' on the other.
There are risks associated with longer/deeper, they can be managed, although never totally eliminated - simply dumbing down what divers training and by making deco something to be afraid of isn't going to help anything - its simply pandering to the lowest common denominator
Round here, transfer to chamber will take somewhere between 6 and 10 hours, dependant on the availabilty of the plane/weather etc - it doesn't mean we draw a line and don't do deco nor do we have an irrational fear of it - it does however mean we tend to be less aggressive in schedules, and more careful in terms of hydration gas choice etc

On my last live aboard we did 4-5 dives a day (4 day, 1 night) for 5 days straight.

Sucked down lots and lots of Nitrox!!!

All depends on the shape your in and how much experience you have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom