Diver fights off 12-foot shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onespeed I didnt say ALL I said I've had bad experiences with spearfishermen and divers for that matter but not all. Yes I realize I have fear that leads to a prejudice that can in its self lead to ignorance (assuming all are bad); but I didn't mean all. And please don't take it this way. I have some good freinds that are are very responsible spearfisherman and I have no doubt you are as responsible as you are obviously conscientious.

I was drawn to the video because of some big news headline "Divers Fight Off 12ft Shark" and what I saw wasn't what the headline suggested. I saw no fight. I didn't see the shark jabbing away. Yellow journalism ? Media hype? I believe that is what made me side for the shark not my anti-spearfishing attitude.

Yellow journalism ? Media hype?

Perhaps, but no worse than your attempt to use this incident to further your obvious anti spearfishing agenda. I mean come on, even your profile makes anti spearfishing remarks. You're just backpedaling now.

Well it wasn't meant to be an anti-spear fishing post. Yes I don't like it but that wasn't the purpose. I have assisted in the production of documentaries against shark finning and bycatch. I feel sharks are overkilled. And spearfishing is secondary.

But what the heck I don't like being near spearfishermen while diving. So what. Don't let it ruffle your feathers. I'm sure you don't like being near people that don't like spearfishing. I can deal with that.

You know what. I bet we can go on and on till page 30 of this thread. I say have trifle more words and I'll give it a rest. If you have any questions of me, I'd be glad to reply.

I respect your opinions.

But what the heck I don't like being near spearfishermen while diving. So what. Don't let it ruffle your feathers. I'm sure you don't like being near people that don't like spearfishing. I can deal with that.

I have many friends who don't care for spearfishing, hell, my girlfriend hates it but respects that fact that I enjoy and am very responsible with it. I just don't care for broad, sweeping generalizations which, deny all you want, you made.

I too have said my peace and am done.

So, did anyone here see that shark video?

I have many friends who don't care for spearfishing, hell, my girlfriend hates it but respects that fact that I enjoy and am very responsible with it. I just don't care for broad, sweeping generalizations which, deny all you want, you made.

I too have said my peace and am done.

So, did anyone here see that shark video?
I saw it, but I won't be of much help, as the only things I know of sharks are what I've seen in documentaries. Never dove with them.
I was curious as to why the shark continued to circle them after having been shot several times. I would have thought that like most animals, it would have high tailed it out of there.

I think there were alot issues that have been beat on over this event. Shark conservation has taken a hit with the media hype over an "evil" shark and it's glorious death. The spearfishing community has taken a hit from those that look at this 2 hr battle between shark and man as nothing but a senseless killing. In the end, this has definitely been a difficult debate on all sides. If the media hadn't been involved to this extreme, I doubt there would have been such heated opinions by the diving community.

In the end, the people involved have already faced harsh criticism and strong support. I never want to see anyone hurt either by wildlife or people. It is time to bury this dead shark debate. I think we have all learned alot by this event.

Peace and happy diving and happy fishing!
Carolyn:shark2:

I agree Carolyn and I'm now reading other articles and posts on this shark escapade. The consensus is that if money and the media were not involved, and the shark was doing more than just circling, then this would have been water down the river. I reading much more criticisms and salutes than just this post I created. I mean the tabloids were trying to get involved and thankfully they didn't or we'd be sticking up for the alien shark from outer space and photoshoped pics.

I do see the shark turned away from the camera and was swimming sideways to the camera before it is speared.

I'm not sure what the significance of the shark rolling was and would like the video of that (they assumed that was part of the threatening activity of the shark but wasn't shown).

"The tiger shark then rolled. Thinking it was about to charge, Clasen fired the spear gun and struck the shark in the gills, he said."

Unfortunatly we never get to see the first spear shot as the camera blacks out at that point then comes back on "The TV Anchorman Apologizes for the black out".

But unfortunately it's incunclusive to the audience what happened and thus the debates.

Let it rest then.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom