Diver lost 15 Jan 2013 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thankfully I have never been caught in a down current but I would imagine it would be tough to stick with your group in that instance and might better be an example for pony bottles. But this could simply be my lack of experience talking...

My daughter and I are at Coz right now, we still don't know much other than the diver was female, no info on experience or anything else. We've heard some rumors about this and that but I won't repeat them here as I have no idea how credible they are. She was with the same operator we're diving with, different boat. We dove Santa Rosa wall this morning with no problems other than decreased viz, then did our surface interval at Palancar Beach and were headed out to Yucab for our second dive and were just about to get in the water when the radio exploded, all kinds of guys yelling all kinds of things in Spanish, we had no idea what was happening until our guide and captain told us that a diver was lost and we were heading back to the Palancar area to help in the search. We trolled around for over an hour and came up with nothing. I haven't felt that futile in quite awhile, and it really hit home to me how big that area is and how slim of a chance you have to be found when something really gets bad. We were back at the dock when the boat she was on got back about mid afternoon, there were some very, very somber people getting off that thing, understandably. All I'm doing now is saying a lot of prayers. The last we heard was that the Mexican Navy had search/recovery boats in the Palancar area and still had nothing. If I hear anything credible tomorrow I'll report.

Just came back from a night dive at Punta Dalila (next dive to Palancar). Current had died down a lot (although I have to say we went there because we expected the current to be less on Dalila), dive was easy, no problems keeping everybody together. No news on the diver as far I heard. R.I.P.

It seems like anytime someone is lost here, and it does happen in this busiest dive location in the world, one of the first things this board jumps on is the terrifying "downcurrents". They do happen but in my 20 years here I know of NO one who was lost because of a downcurrent. Downcurrents can happen and they are easy to deal with, or even ignore...they are never going to push anyone to crazy depths. Should they be respected, yes, but any decent dive briefing should explore the possibilities and ways to deal with them.

On the other hand, I do completely agree with the point of view that the dive group should always stay connected and that requires some level of discipline. The smaller and more homogenous the group the better.

As of 9 PM we have heard of no recovery and it is reasonable to consider the worst. A drowned diver becomes very negative and the body may fall all the way to the abyss where no one can search.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS.
Yes, dive fatalities do occur, and that is everywhere. I cannot point out direct references but I firmly believe that on a per dive day basis Cozumel is one of the safest places in all the world, except for your training pool at your local dive shop.

Dave, not to hijack this sad news, but what is the best way to deal with a down current?

swim away from the wall?

inflate bc and kick - carefully so u don't bolt?

thanks, rob

This sucks. :shakehead: It doesn't look like anyone knows exactly what happened or why? So many things are possible of course, and the more possibilities we prepare for the better our odds.

Thankfully I have never been caught in a down current but I would imagine it would be tough to stick with your group in that instance and might better be an example for pony bottles. But this could simply be my lack of experience talking...
The one time I rode one was on a second dive, along the reef - but that was at the top of a wall and I got pulled down. I swam out of it ok but was jumping myself for leaving my pony on the boat for the second dive. Now I get more info on the second dive site, not just planned depth - and I'm more likely to take it on the second as well. It's no bigggie in the water - just one more thing to deal with before rolling in and passing up before reboarding without dropping. My Op keeps it for me overnight and gets it to the boat.

Well, we see the Pony vs Spare Air vs Better Buddy Diving discussions on the Basic and Advanced Scuba forums, maybe in the New Divers forum - I wouldn't know as I don't go in there, but not much on the Coz forum. I have seen one other diver with a pony on one trip from my experiences, but no one ever bothers me about mine. I think about the only times you read about one here is when I gripe about not getting mine filled before the first day, the few times I wished I had, or once when I was very glad I had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My one experience diving the Palancar Bricks involved a honking current -- if it wasn't 2+ kts, I'll eat my booties. We had a larger sized group consisting of divers from different countries and possessing varied experience. Our DM would frequently let the group drift by a swim through or other interesting feature and then suddenly change direction forcing the group to swim back into the current to keep up with him. In some cases the exertion was pretty extreme just to stay with the group-- I know my husband and I blew through our air more quickly than usual. I sincerely hope that my experience is not something that this group with the lost diver experienced. I can see how easy it would be to get in trouble there if you became separated from the group. I will hold this missing diver, her family and fellow divers in my thoughts and prayers...

Dave Dillehay-- thank you for your gracious description of the responses to news of an accident. I believe your assessment of the posts and responses was spot on.

The one time I rode one was on a second dive, along the reef - but that was at the top of a wall and I got pulled down. I swam out of it ok but was jumping myself for leaving my pony on the boat for the second dive. Now I get more info on the second dive site, not just planned depth - and I'm more likely to take it on the second as well. It's no bigggie in the water - just one more thing to deal with before rolling in and passing up before reboarding without dropping. My Op keeps it for me overnight and gets it to the boat.

Why did you think you needed your pony to deal with a down current?

Why did you think you needed your pony to deal with a down current?
Simple because I don't like to be that deep without it. But then a lot of divers here will try to open the Pony vs Better Buddy Diving debate, and I just don't play that one.

I have no idea how pony use got into this thread, it really has no place in a thread about a lost diver, unless pony use was an established aspect of the accident in some way. It is very sad when an acident like this happens, but it's easy to forget how busy a dive destination Cozumel is, and considering that, the safety record does seem to be very strong.

Another aspect about Cozumel diving is that while in general it's not difficult diving, there are currents, some depth, and lots of open ocean. It can be deceptively advanced diving at times. Given this and it's reasonable cost and proximity to the U.S., which makes it very attractive to divers both experienced and new, in some ways it's surprising that there are not more accidents.

Back
Top Bottom