Diver lost in Cozumel today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page #8 post#80

Thanks.

Different people have different setups on SB. Post #80 is on page #2 for me. If you want to link to a specific post, you can't link to the page. The way to do it is to click the post number so that it opens separately, then link to it.

I find it strange that a death in Cozumel has almost completely escaped attention. As I said above, the first link said that it happened last year.

It appears to me that English may not be the first language of the author of the post in the first link. I believe that is why it is a bit confusing. Later in that thread it is made clear he is talking about his year.
"Yes last march 2012 , we are back home and she is still having in memory the moment spent with the lady reconforting her waiting for her husband to be close to her, hopefully we will hear from him."

He claims a woman named Lauren was pulled aboard a dive boat, given oxygen and transported to the hospital where she later died.

The second link is to a post in which someone here on Scubaboard says that "The story we were told is that a girl came to the top on the surface almost unconscious and the captain of our boat and his crew was able to pull her up on the boat and give her oxygen until the rescue boat came to get her. We never heard the out come of what happen to this girl our dive boat had pulled out of the water, if she was ok did she make it... We heard two different stories (rumors) like she didnt make it. We also heard she was in the hospital recovering.
"

I read one or more similar posts or accounts elsewhere, but do not have links for them at the moment. My assumption (and it was nothing more than that) is that these things referred to one incident. If there is doubt about the accuracy or veracity of the posts I linked to, you would have to take that up with the authors. I have not seen anything "official" to either corroborate or refute these accounts. The similarity of accounts and in particular the details and first-hand nature of the first one leads me to believe it is probably true.

For as long as I have been going to Cozumel, there has been a tendency by some Cozumel fans and businesses to downplay anything negative about Cozumel, Cozumel dive ops, Cozumel tourism, etc. I suppose this is understandable. I also don't believe that there is any place one can go to obtain statistics about hospital admissions for dive injuries, let alone statistics for dive-related deaths there. I don't find it at all strange that there is not more information on this. I am sure many families would feel no compulsion to publish the information about the death of a loved one to the scuba diving community. On the other hand, when a search takes place for three days, it is going to get noticed. But, I am neither trying to prove or disprove that someone else may have died while diving on or around March 28th.

Edit to add: Here is another post referencing a second possible death: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...5-diver-lost-cozumel-today-8.html#post6289042

"By the way, the lost diver was not the only tragedy of that day. Our DM informed us the next morning of another diver who died from injuries she suffered on a dive near ours - apparently, she inflated to ascend (presumably to get out of a down current) and failed to control her ascent to the surface once she got out of the current. She suffered either decompression or lung overexpansion and died the next day."

I remember the other possible fatality being mentioned here, but could find nothing on it. Possible news like that is often suppressed as bad for tourism, and even our Consulate is not allowed to release info - or at least never does other than some general State Dept warnings that hardly anyone reads, fewer take seriously, and if you bring them up on the local forum - get shot down by fans. Plus a lady asking about her father's death there in February; couldn't find anything...??

The suppression of anything potentially derogatory coming out about the island is concerning to say the least, but when a family member comes to SB looking for answers about a fatal incident for which there is no info is just sad.

Coz is getting lower and lower on my bucket list.

The suppression of anything potentially derogatory coming out about the island is concerning to say the least, but when a family member comes to SB looking for answers about a fatal incident for which there is no info is just sad.

Coz is getting lower and lower on my bucket list.
Oh it happens many places, more so than not. The key is to be a prepared and competent diver, or for newbies to hire private DMs the first day, I think. When you leave the US tho, you forfeit a lot of protections, emergency support, and even freedom of information.

I am trying to think of how to stay on the topic of this thread (and not of other potential/possible accidents being alluded to). So I will just say this. I worked in the health care sector for many, many years. Personal privacy is paramount in any health-related incident by anyone involved and it is drilled into us until our collective heads hurt...in this case it would include DMs, police, medical staff and eventually even diplomatic officials. In fact, often to my consternation, even when a failure to release related detail made us look bad, I was simply not allowed to do so under patient privacy protection rules. It is THAT sacrosanct!

If the person affected doesn't want details released, they are not supposed to be released. If the designated next-of-kin doesn't want them released, they are not supposed to be released. In fact, they are just generally not released without express permission. It has nothing to do with cover ups. I am not saying the latter may not exist or might even be a factor in these cases referenced, but that there are other possible reasons. Not every next-of-kin feels it is the right of a ScubaBoard member (or other family members and friend, necessarily) to have all the gory details so they may be dissected at length on an internet discussion board by total strangers. So you might get some generic information of an accident and that will be all you will get. Please keep this perspective in mind when advocating for more and more information that you think you "want or need" to know.

Last edited:
I have no illusions that this happens in many places, and i appreciate MMM's post. However, there seems to have been several recent accidents involving bad judgement (my opinion only) by DMs, Ops, and of course the divers themselves. Yes, I'm sure this happens in many other places, but there is a large pro-Coz crowd on SB and it seems(again my opinion) like every other a&i thread deals with Coz. And for every Coz thread in this forum, there are a half dozen spinoffs.

My opinion of Coz, based solely on these threads, is that even though the diving may be great it has the potential to get way beyond my experience level rather quickly. Then there's Don's 2nd favorite saying

"When you leave the US tho, you forfeit a lot of protections, emergency support, and even freedom of information."

His favorite saying is something about testing tanks.:D

Back to thread at hand, based on what I've read, there appeared to be 2 unrelated fatalities and several close calls during this period of crazy currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom