Diver missing in Davao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone knows the depths are ridiculous, the risks are outrageous, and it is simply stupid to dive those profiles. Divers are responsible for their actions.
I hope the families left behind can manage to overcome the tragedy.

Once again Sorry Bing, as I'm sure it's not an easy time. I'm still trying to fathom the fact that people are diving on air to 285 feet, you guys correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MOD on air around 218 feet (from a physiologically standpoint), and that is really 'pressing the envelope'. I'm mean Christ going that deep on air is totally blowing through the envelope! I don't get it!:shocked2:

thanks tom, it is not an easy time indeed, specially for pam and the kids, and the small tightly knit diving community down here.

dennis' body was found at 219fsw (also the max depth found in his dive computer) speargun still in tow with a 5kg fish in the line (forgot what kind). spearos here regularly dive 180-260fsw, so it wasn't really hard to understand why rescue divers went down to 280fsw or so to look for him.

chito's death last march was attributed to a heart attack, so i guess nobody really got "scared" spearing at depth. you know how people rationalize. i'm hoping dennis' death will have a greater impact on spearfishing safety and dive safety in general. he was a a trained freediver, had no vices and more physically fit than your average gym buff.

stupid or not, people just do what they do coz' they love doing it.

Keep it up guys. Looks like the fish in Davao may outlast the "speros".

Those depths on AIR? = Extreme Narcosis, HIGH PO2 in excess of 2.2 It's just plain suicidal, single tank; NO gas redundancy, foolish, not to mention CO2 buildup/excess = A one way ticket to DEPTH. End of story

As Bing said, there is a tight knit dive community here who - despite some differing points of view - rally together when such tragic incidents happen.

My wife and I have done some serious deep diving in the past and understand the risks. Our deep diving was always undertaken when we were fully dive fit and taking every precaution - including detailed dive planning and signing disclaimers/posting a detailed dive profile/plan with the dive owner and other responsible people on the surface. Also ensuring that we had enough gas to complete the dive + extra + drop tanks.

Still, there are inherent risks involved. We made a mistake one time and let someone we knew and had dived with join us on a dive to 54m. Unknown to us, he dived in a severe dehydrated state and surfaced with type II dcs. He spent many months in recompresion back in the UK with part paralysis.

Then ensued a long investigation by UK authorities and PADI. We were cleared, but we still feel guilty. This was our big lesson and we don't do this anymore.

In Davao, we have witnessed several 'near disasterous' incidents all connected to excessive dive depths by spearfishers. I can list these, but I don't think this is the right time. Needless to say, depth and poor dive planning/execution always plays a part.

Dive shops and regulating bodies have big responsibilities to prevent this. Dive regulatory bodies must be clear on rules and pass these to dive ops and individuals; dive shops must ensure that rules are enforced. Otherwise, things become like the 'wild west'.

We went to see how Richard is today. He is out of hospital but still 'poorly'. He was friends with Dennis and felt he had to do what he could to find him.

Everyone wishes he gets well soon.

Please let me just add that there are some very 'responsible' deep divers in Davao who do undertake meticulous planning and dive safely and who are considerate to others.

I wish they can bring others into their fold and prevent further tragedies.

Dive shops and regulating bodies have big responsibilities to prevent this. Dive regulatory bodies must be clear on rules and pass these to dive ops and individuals; dive shops must ensure that rules are enforced. Otherwise, things become like the 'wild west'.

Andrew, I agree, but in the end! Everyone must be responsible for their own dive, there is only so much regulatory agencies can do. I'm assuming they were all trained divers to some extent and with that training had been warned of the consequences of 'pressing the envelope' when diving that deep with out the proper equipment and training.

Sorry, Bing, all this talk after the fact still does not bring back a life!

I'm assuming they were all trained divers to some extent and with that training had been warned of the consequences of 'pressing the envelope' when diving that deep with out the proper equipment and training.

Sorry, Bing, all this talk after the fact still does not bring back a life!

that is pretty much correct tom. he knew better… the same reason why i've hung up my spear in exchange for a camera.

spearos here regularly dive 180-260fsw, so it wasn't really hard to understand why rescue divers went down to 280fsw or so to look for him.

i'd shake richard's hand if i get to meet him. really selfless act on his part.

Unfortunatly Richard, although commendable for his attempt to save his friend broke a major rule of both Lifeguard and Rescue diver training! "Think first, do not become another victim!" He was lucky and is still alive! I wish him all the best for the future and hope is recovery is total
I hope that others in the future think first before acting!
On the same note, I one time dove to 243 feet to rescue a Narced diver who had my tank on him, luckily I was suuccessful but foolhardy to dive to such a depth!
Deep Dives Cost Lives! Don't do it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom