Diver missing today? 03/28/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys, we all know what a trying time this is for all concerned. I'll start by saying how sorry I am for the family and that my thoughts and prayers are with them. I have read 11 pages to date of posts of caring SB members. Some of us are starting to wander off into subjects that have been discussed and beaten to death. Bringing them back up at this date offers no solutions except to open old wounds. Please continue to express your thoughts of concern for this family and update us if you have any new first hand information (NOT SPECULATION).

This backbiting does not show the true community of Cozumel divers. I hope that this gets this thread back on topic. So lets get back to what we do best. Show this family the love and caring of the Cozumel community when we are searching for one of our own.

Last edited:
My comments in reply to the postings where the suggestion that the DM is immediately at fault. Without knowing more it's not helpful to say it's the DMs fault. Can we agree on that?

Your point is well taken. How many people were on the dive? How many DMs were there? Why was he hired? I'm not at all saying that if the DM was hired as a guide he should ignore any emergent situation that arises and continue on being a guide. Let's not get too deep into the hypothetical of emergent situations in this particular situation.

I'll say it again, we cannot simply lay blame on the DM as was mentioned previously.

Randy,

I disagree. My Coz DM isn't there to just point stuff out. And having seen alot of divers coming back after a few years and those with only cert dives under their weight belts, they HAVE to look out for the group. In a perfect world every buddy team would be capable of handing every event on their own. I sure wasn't until I had some dive in. Until I did, my DM was keeping an extra eye on me. I see that same treatment to those rusty or new divers. I think most of the good DMs do that. I mean they all have to deal with those kind of divers.

As to the choice: If I am convulsing and losing my reg, my DM darn well should come handle me, because I am THE MOST at risk at that moment. If a diver is surfacing, that diver is the MOST at risk until sighted by the boat. I can't imagine most Coz DMs would just let someone wander to the surface on their own. They could get lost or run over. None of that is good for their business.

Of course maybe I am spoiled? Anyone else think their Coz DM is just a tour guide?

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Jim, speculation is helpful. It helps all of sort out what is possible and what is probable for going wrong wrong on a dive.

If we follow your advice, there is nothing more to be said and you may as well close the thread.

We did 2 dives yesterday morning (including Santa Rosa Wall) and the currents were slow and the "normal" South to North.

Not sure what time you did the Santa Rosa Wall, but that was our first dive yesterday (around 9:30 -10:00) and we all experienced a very bad down currant, It took 2 divers to 165ft and my husband and son were taken to 150ft. There were so many divers coming up and floating in the ocean looking for their boats, It was a very scary situation, one I never want to experience again!

Not sure what time you did the Santa Rosa Wall, but that was our first dive yesterday (around 9:30 -10:00) and we all experienced a very bad down currant, It took 2 divers to 165ft and my husband and son were taken to 150ft. There were so many divers coming up and floating in the ocean looking for their boats, It was a very scary situation, one I never want to experience again!
It can change in minutes.

San Juan islands in Puget Sound gets wild currents with tidal changes daily. I remember my last dive there, the second time I lost my buddy, surfacing, seeing him getting swept to my left as I was getting pushed right, and the big dive boat twirling in the middle of the channel. Rapids were seen and more. I guess all bays and sounds get this to some extent. Similar yet different from competing currents in Coz channel this week, downdwellings and updwellings included.

I could do with a lot less of the arguing and pissing contests and more about what is being done to find this lady. Save the stupid ass arguing for the A&I thread. Lets show some support for the divers family and leave the rest of the crap for later.

There were so many divers coming up and floating in the ocean looking for their boats, It was a very scary situation, one I never want to experience again!

I am amazed no one has brought it up yet...

nautilus-lifeline.jpg

More info here:
Nautilus Lifeline

Next trip, I am supplying several tank analyzers as before, but I think it's time my home bud supply something extra - like renting a PLB & Dive Canister. PLB Rental | ACR ResQlink and Aqualink

Having dealt with the current and downwelling issues this week, and having spent some time floating in the boat channel waiting for a ride, I was glad to have my SMB and I am an even bigger proponent of every diver having their own smb than I was before. I also think divers diving in a location where certain conditions are known to occur, such as unexpected currents, rapid current shifts, downwellings, etc., it is incumbent on divers to understand these conditions and be "prepared" for them in the sense of understanding how to respond. I also think dive ops should consider addressing such issues in briefings.

With that said, my general belief is that if you are diving Coz and for some reason end up floating on the surface alone, you are going to be found if a search occurs. The ones who are not found either did not make it to the surface, or for some reason failed to inflate their BC once there. In such circumstances, the diver is likely not going to be found. Perhaps I am mistaken in this, but pending contrary information from experts on the subject, that is my belief based on past trips, past events I have read about and my own experiences here this past week.

The loss of a diver this week is sad and I feel for the family. Frankly, I think we are lucky there were not more.

FWIW, I understand DAN has had a number of calls from Cozumel in the past several days and there are at least a couple people doing chamber time that may be attributable in some measure to the conditions here lately. Being lost is not the only risk with the conditions we have been seeing.

To Tigerman - SMB (only) is being suggested for all divers for use once on the surface. NOT with a reel and 100 ft. of line.

Crazy stuff - had an O ring blow at 55 ft yesterday. Went up, DM followed and we waited for boat, switched tanks and rejoined our group and continued dive.

Hoping for a good result for this family - search continues today

Brules said:
I could do with a lot less of the arguing and pissing contests and more about what is being done to find this lady. Save the stupid ass arguing for the A&I thread. Lets show some support for the divers family and leave the rest of the crap for later.​

Well said, Prayers for the Family...... and those searching....

Back
Top Bottom