Diver panics video clip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive had some free time, so I have been finding some interesting clips.

Heres a small one, poor kid - looks like his nerves were a little overloaded and then
maybe he saw how much air he had left and that put him over the edge. Thank god for good instructors. YouTube - Panic

In this one, the conditions look rather creepy, perhaps she cant be blamed for wanting to slip away while the DM gets a duck call from the camera man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm65KECsEpE&feature=related

This one is a tribute to rental equipment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6DZ1K0L24&feature=related

Hah! That last one with the bad rental equipment--- They've got more bubbles coming from more different places than a Lawrence Welk show!! (Younger folks may have to google that one)

And the other two -- all that excess finning and sculling around -- a sure sign of someone that is not comfortable -- hopefully just from inexperience or poor technique, but maybe from rising anxiety.

Most dive students and novices scull their hands, stay vertical and bicycle fin excessively. It is not an issue of comfort but one of training. A certification card is only a learners permit to go out and learn how to dive. Body position and fin technique are some of those things that are eventually learned.
Steve:14:

Ive had some free time, so I have been finding some interesting clips.

Heres a small one, poor kid - looks like his nerves were a little overloaded and then
maybe he saw how much air he had left and that put him over the edge. Thank god for good instructors. YouTube - Panic

In this one, the conditions look rather creepy, perhaps she cant be blamed for wanting to slip away while the DM gets a duck call from the camera man?
YouTube - CO2 Panic

This one is a tribute to rental equipment.
YouTube - bad dive equipment

Hopefully the "flailing" divers will get better with experience. My high pressure hose is leaking too...time to get that taken care of, huh?

Most dive students and novices scull their hands, stay vertical and bicycle fin excessively. It is not an issue of comfort but one of training. A certification card is only a learners permit to go out and learn how to dive. Body position and fin technique are some of those things that are eventually learned.
Steve:14:

Many new divers do use their hands excessively, but the vertical, bicycle kicking is far more due to anxiety than *just* poor technique. It may be that the anxiety is due to lack of thorough training but the majority of comfortable new divers do not dive like that.

My red flag is if someone has been rather horizontal and shifts to a vertical position. It's a sure sign of trouble brewing.

Rachel

Haha, that last one is hillarious! I've had rental equipment like that and hated the charter for it every time. Yet I go back to them:dork2:

I'm surprised though that he didn't at least notice the leak on the first stage when he kitted up.

My red flag is if someone has been rather horizontal and shifts to a vertical position. It's a sure sign of trouble brewing.

Rachel

Very useful tip there, Rachel. Something I'll watch out for in the future. Going from horizontal to vertical. Getting in the "launch" position.

good point Rachel. Going from horizontal to vertical could very well be a portent of trouble. I still believe, however, that for beginners, the vertical plane is taken because they are and have always been vertical topside and haven't yet learned to be horizontal. Kind of like my first wife.

Back
Top Bottom