Diver Psychology - why do we do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, Socaldiver, we will never tell you to, "Shut up!" Well, almost never!

And ain't it great! Barbara and I really feel priviledged that we can dive and enjoy a very special part of Nature. We are among a special few souls on this Earth who can go beneath the waves and see a glorious vision! And,now, you darn Surcaliforniano, you got me started!

Peace, brother, peace--and enjoy the N2 ads scale!

Joewr (actually anxious to do the cold, (at least) clear(?) waters of SoCal next year)

I dive because unlike anything else I have done, it takes enough concentration to remove me from the everyday and cleanse my mind (soul?) I canno think of work, or the kids etc. while diving. I have not had that experience in 20 years...

Hey Socal--you mentioned you are from Ky. Where?

sky509?? I gotta disagree with the return to the womb thing; I spend a lotta time in 40*F to 50*F water in a 3mil suit and I KNOW my momma wasn't that cold!! :cold:

How did that song go now by alabama, "My home's in alabama", no wait a minute that should be Kentucky. I just live in the LA area. :thumb:

jbd, I was born in covington, early years lived in Newport then moved to a big town called Crestview (population 472, yahoo!!). It's about 10 miles south of Cincy off US 27. Moved to LA in 83 because the Gatlin Boys said All the gold is in California".

I think I must do it for the rush. The numbing rush of freezing cold ice water that overwhelms your head like an ice cream headache as you plunge under a ceiling of ice! Wahoo! We're having fun now!.:loopy: I think that's the only rush I ever get out of the deal.

Mike

diving heck.. I do it to relax.. a better question is what "posseses" me to huck myself off 100' kickers on my dirtbike... now what's the psychology behind that one???

Seriously though.. great post.. it made me stop to think about it and quite honestly, I think we all have our reasons

for me, it's peace / quiet / relaxing... to get away from the Orange County surrounding that I just can not seem to escape in any other way... sure I do lots of stuff, but it's adreneline pumping hardcore physical stuff that drains me.. whereas I get out the water after a dive/swim/snorkel/even a bodysurf feeling revived and full of life....

but that's me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom