Diver Signaling Equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steven and Eponym -

Check out a product called a Rescue Streamer (http://www.rescuestreamer.com). I found that it avoids the problems inherent with dye capsules (breakage, dilution, etc.). It's fairly compact and reusable.

But it would be difficult to spot from a boat.

frankenmuth_tom:
What else are you folks carrying in the way of signaling devices if you find yourself seperated from the boat or drifing away????

The safety sausage will help the boat to see you, when they come searching for you. But you still need to get their attention.

Four things are good to have. Two of them you have already mentioned: the "signal mirror" and the safety sausage.

A medium sized light, connected to your B/C-harness somehow is nice to have with you all the time, day or night.

A DiveAlert signal horn is also nice to have.

Kracken -

Are you referring to the Rescue Streamer? If so, I agree... you wouldn't be able to see it well from a boat, but neither would a dye capsule. The Rescue Streamer would be better spotted from the air, and not on a boat. Vice versa for a SMB...

Yes, and I agree with you. I do think I'd prefer the dye however, it creates a much broader area which the searchers can spot.

If I'm ever out in the real wild and woolies my wife and I will be carrying a big OMS SMB and a dye packet.

Kracken - do you know of a commerically available dye packet that'll stand up to diving? I'm looking for such.

I've seen the rescue streamer (thanks, Koi), and it's a step up in visibility (also lasts longer :) ), but I just don't want to be packing that big a packet.

Bryan

joedelt:
one reason for exoxying back to back is the reflective side of CD's is actually the top (ever scrape off the top and you'll see) so if you glue them back to back, you cannot scrape off the reflective part.

I couldn't think of why you would glue two CD's together, you have explained it, thanks

android:
They are glued back-to-back so that they can be aimed.

Signal mirrors either have a glass bead or wire mesh center which creates a bright aiming spot or you must line up the light spot with the center hole on the back surface. It's hard to describe, you should really practice it in you front yard.

(There's another method which involved spotting over a tree branch or post, but that won't work floating in the ocean.)

All useful signal mirrors have an aiming hole AND a mechanism for you to see a spot to assist in aiming. Some cheap ones just have a clear hole and no aiming mechanism.

A mirror that can't be aimed is useless other than for shaving or putting on makeup.

Glueing them back to back is to protect the reflective quality, as explained on this thread.
Understanding simple geometry will allow you to aim a mirror.
Use the force Luke.
And have you ever used a CD to shave? I didn't think so.

eponym:
Kracken - do you know of a commerically available dye packet that'll stand up to diving? I'm looking for such.

I've seen the rescue streamer (thanks, Koi), and it's a step up in visibility (also lasts longer :) ), but I just don't want to be packing that big a packet.

Bryan

I thought I saw some dye packets on the OMS website...

JAG

Jag:
I thought I saw some dye packets on the OMS website
Thanks for the pointer, Jag. I'll give those a try.

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom