Diver Signaling Equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
Understanding simple geometry will allow you to aim a mirror.
Use the force Luke.
And have you ever used a CD to shave? I didn't think so.

Geometry is just not enough to aim a mirror or CD. Give it a try (I have) Find a nice reflective traffic sign. Now go about 1/2 mile down the road. Aim at the sign and flash it. When you hit it, you will know, because it will light up. Try with a CD. Try with a real signal mirror like a Rescue Reflector or StarFlash. Think about how hard it will be to hit a boat or plane while you're lost at sea. Especially a plane since there will be no reference point in the air. Throw CD in trash.

(Yes, I know you can sight a mirror using your fingers. This method sucks and nobody recommends it.)

There was recently a discussion on the board about flares that can be used for diving:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t65622-.html

There is a flare that has a smoke signal on one end, and a hand held flare on the other, and it is rated to 100'.

Once mine comes in, I'll be carrying that on every boat dive. I also have a whistle. Make sure the whistle does not have a cork ball in it, it will grow like a sponge and not work at all. A signal mirror is on the same lanyard as the whistle.

Somewhere I saw something about a folding radar reflector. The CD thing might work for that if you could get it high enough, maybe even just the top of your rescue sausage.

I tell you what, after watching Open Water, I can't have enough signal stuff on me. :icon10:

Back
Top Bottom