Diver Training: Kick-up the intensity, or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see any MFS spec in the OP's 1000 yard swim ... I took it to mean exactly what it says ... swim. 1000 yards with mask, fins & snorkel isn't that difficult. However, I still don't see how that helps someone be a better scuba diver unless you're diving someplace where you're going to be anticipating having to go a half-mile or against a heavy current in order to get out of the water.

FWIW - NAUI's instructor watermanship test required a 450 yard swim and 800 yards with MFS when I took it in 2004. That's reasonable for an instructor. For entry-level, I found the YMCA's requirements of a 300 yard surface swim, 50 foot underwater swim and 15 minute survival swim to be reasonable and adequate to judge someone's fitness to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW, I recall swimming 800 yards with no gear for the PADI DM course in 2-3 foot swells. One would expect a DM or instructor to be able to make a long swim. But, I think there is also value for any diver to have the fitness and the skills to make a long surface swim. Maybe the average resort boat diver doesn't need much more energy than to walk to the back of the boat, but a lot of shore divers routinely make long swims.

You are a sarcastic one, aren't you....

View attachment 154900

Actually, I just wanted to see if it was a spot I may have dived--but I do now see the sarcasm!

I recall swimming 800 yards with no gear for the PADI DM course in 2-3 foot swells. One would expect a DM or instructor to be able to make a long swim.

From a water skills perspective, I would expect a DM or instructor to be completely comfortable doing anything they're likely to have to do in the water. As for making a long swim, I'd have to ask why with no gear? If I'm scuba diving, I will always have my scuba equipment on. If I'm skin diving, I'll have mask, fins, and snorkel. At no point can I imagine myself in a situation where I have to swim that would require me ... or in any way be beneficial ... to remove my fins. With fins on I can get where I'm going faster and easier than without them.

I don't think anything in any aspect of scuba instruction should be done unless there's a cogent reason why you should do it ... and the instructor is able to provide that reason to the student in terms the student can put into the context of why they are taking the class.

In that respect, what would be the purpose of a no-gear 800-yard swim in 2-3 foot swells?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

From a water skills perspective, I would expect a DM or instructor to be completely comfortable doing anything they're likely to have to do in the water. As for making a long swim, I'd have to ask why with no gear? If I'm scuba diving, I will always have my scuba equipment on. If I'm skin diving, I'll have mask, fins, and snorkel. At no point can I imagine myself in a situation where I have to swim that would require me ... or in any way be beneficial ... to remove my fins. With fins on I can get where I'm going faster and easier than without them.

I don't think anything in any aspect of scuba instruction should be done unless there's a cogent reason why you should do it ... and the instructor is able to provide that reason to the student in terms the student can put into the context of why they are taking the class.

In that respect, what would be the purpose of a no-gear 800-yard swim in 2-3 foot swells?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agree. Strong legs are important, fins or not. Gets into the whole DM & OW "swim tests" discussions again, no?

LOL. The problems not the jump but the fall. You seldom have an opportunity to jump because the rocks are sometimes covered with rime ice! Your unsteady on your feet and then there's the waves and surf... Lots of fun. :)

This is a live web cam of Peggy's cove: Nova Scotia Webcams - Peggys Cove Lighthouse | South Shore (a popular local check-out site). Entry is done on the right side of the photo (the waves in the center and left would likely kill a diver against the rocks).

LOL That is one place where we were diving and jumping off the rocks....

That place generated a couple of funny stories.. The first. My new wife said it was too rough to dive so I was freediving solo. As I recall, it went straight down to around 20-feet and then was flat bottom, very close to the shoreline rocks...

There were several tourists on the rocks and in the area. I yelled to my wife (so everyone could hear) "there are tons of fish down there, I'm going to try to catch one in my hands" .. she knew me and diving well enough to realize this was BS, but it did serve to aggregate a small crowd...

I freedove down to where I had ascended and reached into a ghost lobster trap and grabbed a 3 lb codfish by the throat. I ascended and then dramatically threw the flopping fish onto the rocks to the amazement of the tourists (and my new bride too). She gave me a funny look and I yelled "Shall i catch another one for dinner?" And she yelled back "SURE?"... Causing several more people to check out the commotion.

I never mentioned anything about the trap, and went down again and repeated the stunt. The people were clapping when I threw the second fish on the rocks... :rofl3:

I freedove down to where I had ascended and reached into a ghost lobster trap and grabbed a 3 lb codfish by the throat. I ascended and then dramatically threw the flopping fish onto the rocks to the amazement of the tourists (and my new bride too). She gave me a funny look and I yelled "Shall i catch another one for dinner?" And she yelled back "SURE?"... Causing several more people to check out the commotion.

I never mentioned anything about the trap, and went down again and repeated the stunt. The people were clapping when I threw the second fish on the rocks... :rofl3:

That's awesome!!

LOL That is one place where we were diving and jumping off the rocks....

Every year tourists walk to the ocean in the area in-front of, or to the left of that lighthouse. Despite the many signs warning of the danger, some bravely walk up to within 2 or 3 feet of the edge and never return. They just can't comprehend the power of the waves. They figure that because they may be 8 to 10 feet off the water they're safe. A hard lesson to learn.

Even on a calm day, the temperature and power of the North Atlantic demands respect. Currents can be bad at the best of times and even some friendly looking public beaches aren't open to swimming for this reason.

Every year tourists walk to the ocean in the area in-front of, or to the left of that lighthouse. Despite the many signs warning of the danger, some bravely walk up to within 2 or 3 feet of the edge and never return. They just can't comprehend the power of the waves. They figure that because they may be 8 to 10 feet off the water they're safe. A hard lesson to learn.

Even on a calm day, the temperature and power of the North Atlantic demands respect. Currents can be bad at the best of times and even some friendly looking public beaches aren't open to swimming for this reason.

There's a placed in north Taiwan called Yeliu that's like that. They've painted a red line on the rocks with warnings in multiple languages that say "Don't cross this line" ... and yet every year someone gets swept into the sea after crossing that line.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's a placed in north Taiwan called Yeliu that's like that. They've painted a red line on the rocks with warnings in multiple languages that say "Don't cross this line" ... and yet every year someone gets swept into the sea after crossing that line.

This is a video of a woman 15' back from the water's edge on a calm day; tourists... This spot is loved by vacationers and is typical of Nova Scotia's 4700 miles of coastline,. :) Peggy's Cove Huge Wave Soaker - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom