DiveRite XT4: discolouration of faceplate after only 5 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, maybe I didn’t get the reference?

Almost makes me wonder if that was intended by the manufacturer! (Doubt so)

Yes if only cosmetic, then it should be alright. Was not sure as it happened so quickly that I feel it couldn’t be just due to UV damage.

Are you saying you have the exact same regulator from DiveRite? If so, did it happen also very quickly?
Yes, I have the same exact ones. (XT1&4s)Bought late last year, maybe 50 dives on them.

The discoloration really only is on my primary reg, but it happened quickly. Maybe a couple months?

Give Dive Rite a call. They typically have great customer service. I would be concerned of a material issue, such as a plasticizer was not to spec or some such that may continue to degrade more rapidly than normal or expected which may lead to parts failure sooner than later....perhaps its nothing and purely cosmetic, but I would want the company who made it to know so at least they are aware and there is a record of the issue should you have problems down the road. At the very least, you purchased a black 2nd stage and now its black and blue...not what you purchased, if that bothers you that may be enough for Dive Rite to look into this.

-Z

Hmm, maybe I didn’t get the reference?
Sorry, it was a response to @buddhasummer (post number 3) and his response to @lexvil (post number 2) and the inference therein that regulators will all look beat up after 100 dives and thus your worry over a little discoloration now would be forgotten history by then. Simon and I dissagreed with that sentiment and being both OCD, though he more than me :poke:, that our regs would still look new in 100 dives. And I just did 50 dives on my fresh G250s and not a single scratch despite pu trucks and RIBs :). So it is not inevitable with some OCD in the mix to keep your equipment clean and nice.

BTW, you have a nice set of regs, I do not think there is anything wrong with them. They look fine to me and I am pretty sure with a little care at dive 100 they will still be a fine set.

@Nemrod alright it’s clear now :)

I did contact DiveRite and they answered me with this below.
Tl;dr: it’s only cosmetic
The discoloration is cosmetic only from the environmentally friendly plating process, after plating the parts needs to be cleaned with a detergent. It appears these were not cleaned properly. You can clean them with a oil cutting detergent such as DAWN and shouldn't see it again.

I don’t normally clean my regulators with soapy water -only fresh water- so not sure how to go ahead with that. I wouldn’t want any soap residue stuck in the second stage or the hoses for example so how would you recommend doing it?
I was thinking maybe I could disconnect the second stages from the hoses, or maybe I’m overthinking this?

I don’t normally clean my regulators with soapy water -only fresh water- so not sure how to go ahead with that. I wouldn’t want any soap residue stuck in the second stage or the hoses for example so how would you recommend doing it?
I was thinking maybe I could disconnect the second stages from the hoses, or maybe I’m overthinking this?

Over thinking it. Clean as they suggest and rinse properly.

Interested to know if this actually makes a difference though.

Soak them in dawn using warm water, maybe use a soft tooth brush to hit the tight surfaces and rinse, no need to take them off of the hoses. It does look like some kind of release agent. or dive them 100 times and I bet most of this will be washed away.

Just remove the faceplates. They easily unscrew. Soak/wash those by themselves.

Just remove the faceplates. They easily unscrew. Soak/wash those by themselves.
Sounds like the easiest way. I can’t find a manual for this reg so it might a stupid question but how do they unscrew?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom