• 48 to 57

Votes: 69 24.7%
  • 58 to 67

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Even older!

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree 110% with the cost issue...The cost of getting certified is only a drop in the bucket. The gear as we all know is the big $$$ and most younger kids don't have it. They are tapped out affording a car, or school, or whatever.

My first set of gear was pretty generic...I forgot what the brand name was. I bought it at the San Diego swap meet. I did me well for a couple of years before I upgraded. By that time I had some extra cash to get some better stuff...

Enjoy being 28....time goes by very fast....

Tee Jay ...I am one of the...as you say...more experienced guys...I think you mean older guy by that statement!!! Age doesn't always mean experienced in this sport as I am older but still a newer diver!!! 49!!! Scary huh!!!!

I too think that money has a great effect on the age off divers. I am 24 and in college and currently working in a bar for about $500 a week. At times I have to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or even egg sandwiches for weeks at a time to make sure I can get at least one spring trip in a month :D

S.C.U.B.A. --- Start Counting Unpaid Bills Again

__

i worked about 40 hours a week over the summer after i graduated from highschool to buy my kit. got my 'puter for xmas too :wink:

I think that if you keep diving long enough (to get experienced)
Say, 20 years or so. That you will no longer be 18 either.

So therefore, age progression also has something to do with why there are more "older" divers. Kinda just makes sense, Ya' think?

Just did the summer work program to get my rig. I worked 80 hour weeks!. haha well I was a counselor of a sleep away camp and it was fun so it wasnt real work for 80 hours a week. I am 17 and got certified about 8 months ago on a family vacation. The only reason I could get into the sport is because it was being financially supported by my parents because they were diving too. Now that I want to dive more then them and I have to pay for it I have a lot of trouble continuing to dive. Hopefully when I go to college I can work at a dive shop so even if I don't make enough money to do a lot of fun trips I will be able to do some dives for the shop working and locally with free air.

Reef Man:
Tee Jay ...I am one of the...as you say...more experienced guys...I think you mean older guy by that statement!!!

Yeah, 'experienced' is polite for 'old' :wink: Good to see some younger guys popping up as well. I'm still unsure whether I should take my time and save up plenty of money to buy the best equipment I can, or whether to buy some cheaper options, but that's probably an issue for another topic!
Thankfully I still live at home and my dad also does some diving, so I'm making him take me on a dive trip somewhere! [well, I didn't really talk him into it because it was his idea as well. We've just both been getting mum to accept the idea!]

I'm 21, have bending for 2 years

I'm 24. I got my kit at cost through my studies. I got certified a few years ago but it was always too expensive to do much diving. Most everyone I dive with is older than I am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom