Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wet-willie:
The biggest issue in my opinion is the control feel and response. I have used X-plane for quit a few years. It has the correct aerodynamic response and is one of only two flight sim software packages I have ever used which did, IMO. The other is an old program called Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. It had amazing flight characteristics in every aircraft that I flew, but it is old and the graphics were pretty basic.

Willie

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Aaahhh now that brings back good memories! I also thought it had amazing graphics and physics...until I played it again recently using an emulator on my current system. I had trouble making out the runway, the graphics were so pixely. I nostalgically remembered the amazing dithered horizon (one of the first sims to feature this) and today it looks terrible of course. But a very advanced and fun game at the time, something modern sims have trouble managing (being complex and advanced AND still fun). I loved flying the Mig. And a picture of Chuck would appear and he would shout "check your six"....ahhh classic.

Cheetah, I admit I unfortunately don't have time anymore for reading bible size manuals either, but I do like them. Instead I frequently use the trial and error technique (i.e. "what does this button do" or "now where were those flaps again"...) something you can do in sims, not in the real life.

In diving I do read the manual and try and avoid the trial by error...:D

A.

Private Single engine land...couple hundred rotary hours but since was incidental to profession, no rating was required

Commercial glider. Used to instruct and thinking of renewing it.
Private Single Engine Land.
*Love* to spin!!! Give me 10k clear air below me and I'll do a dozen rotations. :D

The Kraken:
That ain't hovering, Aggie !!! eyebrow You're still maintaining a forward air speed.
To "hover" your A/S has to be 0.

the K

Yea but it sure can make some people's eye get big to watch the world back up. The way the wind blows in OK and Kansas, I used to tell them that if it was out of the East we could probably match the rotation of the earth and stop time.

Speaking of earth's rotation. West to East. Would it not then make sense that landing on a N/S runway the earth is rotating under you and that will cause a little sideloading so it is a good reason why the landings are not as smooth? HMMMM

I was raised on a farm...I know cow paddies. :D

ATP SD3,DCH-8, and A320 types, plus have flown all kinds of stuff like DC9's and MD80's. Scuba is the fun job.

I have the two versions of "Learning to Fly" (Pink Floyd and Tom Petty) in my "Dive Tunes" play list. Does that count? :D

Getting a pilot's license is on my list of things to do before I die but given the astronomical cost (pun intended) it seems unlikely. :11doh: The cost of earning the basic ppl could buy alot of airfares and dive trips. However this could change if one of those lotteries I've won on the internet come through....

Ultra-lights, ultra-lights, ultra-lights . . . . !!!!
No license needed !!!

the K

Codyjp:
I keep seeing names on SB that allude to people being pilots. So I am wondering how many divers here are also pilots?
what ratings?
for fun or profession?

for me, multi Comm. CFI

Not a pilot per se, but B-52 Navigator and Radar Navigator. I got to tell pilots where to go.

And they told me where to get off.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom