Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K,

Does your ultralight have a ballistic shute? It's the only way I would get in one.

Yep! Wouldn't have it without it. Never had to use it.

Not having it would be analagous to diving with out an alternate air source.

Needless to say, one has to be considerably more aware of the weather, especially winds.

Cruise speed is 80, stall is 27 and VNE is 90.

TOD is about 100' solo and 200' dual.

the K

DennisW:
K,

Does your ultralight have a ballistic shute? It's the only way I would get in one.

If you're really paranoid, there's Powered Parachutes, where you fly with a fully deployed ram-air chute. :wink: Great fun... The very definition of "Low & Slow." :)

The Kraken:
Cruise speed is 80, stall is 27 and VNE is 90.

TOD is about 100' solo and 200' dual.
Post some pictures and/or video, please.

Willie

Fish_Whisperer:
If you're really paranoid, there's Powered Parachutes, where you fly with a fully deployed ram-air chute. :wink: Great fun... The very definition of "Low & Slow." :)

This has been on my radar screen for years. I think it would be a cool experience actually....open air....ability and design to fly low and slow (25 mph constant speed craft) to look at things. Under a fully deployed chute maximizing safety. I have avoided taking a demo flight at a nearby school because I think I will be that much closer to buying one. I got all I can handle with boating and diving....I gave up fixed wing rentals at $60 p/hr with a 4 hr weekend minimum.

--Matt

wet-willie:
Post some pictures and/or video, please.

Willie

Wille,

I don't have any handy, but you can see the aircraft here:

TNKOLBAIRCRAFT.COM

. . . enjoy !!!

the K

I've seen lots of Kolb Ultralights. They are nice aircraft.

Frank,

There are also powered hang gliders. I don't thing I would want to fly one because of the difference in control inputs. Just the opposite of what you do in a conventional winged aircraft. In an emergency, you revert to trained motor skills. We had a very experience pilot killed in one here at Sebastian less than a year ago. Lost his engine on takeoff and stalled the wing. He only had a couple of hours in the powered hang glider. I haven't looked at the powered parachutes very much, but there are several at Sebastian.

Hey all. I was thinking about pursuing a private pilot's license. Where is a good message board that discusses topics regarding becoming a pilot? I have been to BeAPilot.com and other sites but want a site like scubaboard.com that has an abundance of information to search and allows questions to be asked to the knowledgeable.

Thanks for all responses in kind,

Carl the Cat

Yeah, the delta-wing setups are a lot faster, and the wing can stall. The powered parachute's beauty is that it's nearly impossible to stall, unless you get into doing spirals, or flaring real high and trying to do super fast landings. They are very very safe, but they are weather dependent: Anything over about 15mph wind, and they aren't much fun to fly. It's a little like trying to fly a sailboat. I'll put up some photos that I've shot from the cockpit. I just came across them last night, as a matter of fact.

Back
Top Bottom