Divers and Pilots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my favorite flying saying:

aviation has a tendency to weed out incompetent pilots. this process is not pretty.

Retired Canadian Military Helicopter pilot
Was Instructor, Instrument Check Pilot, Standards Officer

Now I fly a desk. My job has nothing to do the flying part of aviation

RonDawg:
I work part-time at my department's Air Support Unit as a Tactical Flight Officer, aka the "observer."

As a TFO it's not my job to fly the helicopter, but we are being taught how to land in case the pilot is somehow incapacitated. Part of learning to land is learning to fly the aircraft properly and safely back to a safe landing area, hence a bit of flight training for me.

But that's the attraction :wink:

We always taught our crew chiefs how to put 'em back down on the ground without playing egg beater.

the K

H2Andy:

aviation has a tendency to weed out incompetent pilots. this process is not pretty.

My favorite saying has a strong correlation to yours. It was on a placard on the instrument panel of a rental 140.

"Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth arise and smite thee!"

-Ben M.

The Kraken:
We always taught our crew chiefs how to put 'em back down on the ground without playing egg beater.

the K

Medics, too. I'm glad I never had to do it on my own, though. *shudder*

Flying a helicopter is like hopping on one foot while patting your head and rubbing your stomach...

"Egg beater" is a terrifying term for it!

H2Andy:

My favorite politically correct one was:

Gravity hath respect for neither rank or experience.

We can probably substitute the sea for gravity

WyCal:
ATP - Gulftstream, Jetstar, Westwind, Citation
Lived the dream as charter/corporate pilot in L.A., now living the dream as scuba instructor in Key Largo.

good for you. i am only a few years behind... i hope. Just imagine, some poeple actually work in those buildings. poor saps.

Fish_Whisperer:
Flying a helicopter is like hopping on one foot while patting your head and rubbing your stomach...

...while chewing gum...hehehe....but you'd be surprised how good you get at it with practice!! :wink: Cool that you got to learn to land, though. Does that include hover practice or just a run on landing?

Back
Top Bottom