Divers death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to hear more too...I had missed that other report about the failed gas sharing incident, but having read it I jumped to the same conclusion...that the guy must not have had a working backup. If the OOA diver took his second and there was a problem because "he wouldn't give it back", then they must have been buddy breathing. It sounds like a CF of mammoth proportions that could totally have been averted.

you don't get on board without either an octo (or backup reg, if you prefer) or a pony bottle.

No exceptions, and they DO check.

Did the guy who he came to not HAVE a backup? It sounds like either it wasn't there or wasn't working..... NOT good!

Genesis once bubbled...
you don't get on board without either an octo (or backup reg, if you prefer) or a pony bottle.

No exceptions, and they DO check.

Did the guy who he came to not HAVE a backup? It sounds like either it wasn't there or wasn't working..... NOT good!
Not that I am saying personal accountability shouldn't be the rule, but somebody should have stopped both these people from getting in the water if what we think happened is what actually transpired..

Ya it's very confusing....

But, I'll bet that the second diver who happend along this OOA diver HAD a working second stage but was unable to switch to it.

Here's my guess:

The guy that died had a free flow or a malfuntion and the other guy shows up and there is panic.

The second diver has some horrrible octo rig or something, his primary is a short hose. He hasn't practiced an OOA situtation in a while (maybe not since his OW), he donates (or the OOA diver grabs) his primary, the donator is panicing, he can't find his secondary, the OOA is so close to him and is panicing too, it's cold, it's dark, and with the deep breaths the nacrosis kicks in. All of sudden the donators is holding his breath a little bit, he's postivley bouyant, he's really losing his cool, he's shooting up.

Then back on the boat he realizes that 100' in cold, dark water isn't a piece of cake when something goes wrong.

This wreck is so popular that people think it's an "easy" dive, they think that 100' is shallow, that think they don't get narced at that depth. It is a great wreck (and the inside is even better), but, just because top tech dives can do 400', 100' is still deep under these conditions and needs to be treated with respect and caution.

Donating air needs to basic skill that you practice over and over again, all this crap about sharing air on a short hose and swimming up from 100' and NOT have a bungeed reg right under your chin is BS.

If you want to dive wreck like this you need to TRAIN.

to find out what really happened and how to learn from it.

Scenario^^^^^^^^^ You are at 100 ft for 16 minutes on 21% and you find this body on the deck with no reg in mouth and an SPG reading zero. You do not know how long he has been there....this means you don't know if this is a rescue or a recovery.
My question is : Do you do a safety stop of any kind or risk a hit?

In a perfect world a group will be hanging and just getting ready to surface when you hit 15 feet.
Here is where I may get a bad rap. If I saw the guy flounder and go limp then I would surface with him without thinking about it and administer first aid. To tell you the truth....I don't know exactly what I would do in the scenario I described. If I sit and think then I lean toward the safe side but I know what crazy situations I used to get my self into when I went into rescue mode as a life guard. Something tells me that if faced with it I would surface.
Flame away if you will......I would like to read your thoughts.

but this story makes me understand the intelligence of it and makes me wonder how many other things I'm missing. My heart goes out to the family and I think I've found a new incentive to build upon my neophyte skills as a diver. I've read a lot on this board recently about the DIR-F class and I think I'll have to find a way to get to one.

Dectek once bubbled...
to find out what really happened and how to learn from it.

Scenario^^^^^^^^^ You are at 100 ft for 16 minutes on 21% and you find this body on the deck with no reg in mouth and an SPG reading zero. You do not know how long he has been there....this means you don't know if this is a rescue or a recovery.

In a perfect world a group will be hanging and just getting ready to surface when you hit 15 feet.
Here is where I may get a bad rap. If I saw the guy flounder and go limp then I would surface with him without thinking about it and administer first aid. To tell you the truth....I don't know exactly what I would do in the scenario I described. If I sit and think then I lean toward the safe side but I know what crazy situations I used to get my self into when I went into rescue mode as a life guard. Something tells me that if faced with it I would surface.
I totally agree with you...if I was at 100' on air for 16 minutes I haven't even hit NDL yet... I would totally grab the guy/gal, make a controlled ascent, surface with the victim, and deliver him/her to the people on the boat. If there was someone onboard that could handle the administration of CPR and hopefully later o2, I might go back down and hang around at 20' for a while...if not I would get out and start lifesaving procedures.

Unless there is a SIGNIFICANT deco obligation, I will always get out of the water and risk a hit. IMHO, and this is only IMHO, the tables are conservative enough that it is worth the risk.

Dectek once bubbled...

I would risk the hit. I would risk it even under considerably more risk than you describe.

WW

would also grab the O2 (its gonna be out anyway) and the second mask and breathe it as well.

Why? Because it might prevent the hit I would have otherwise earned, and at that point its "free".

Yup, I'd risk the hit (espically at only 16minutes) and grab the O2 and not dive again for a day or 2.

I had a buddy have a freeflow while diving in 60-70' in Long Pond two winters ago. His reg frozer up and he started heading for the surface fast. We had been the water for a while and normally I would have made a saftey stop, nevermind going up fast, but, I starting breathing out hard and caught him, he was just about OOA so he took my reg. We came to a stop around 10' and of course my computer was going crazy from the ascent rate. We hung out at 10' for a while and then made the long surface swim at a very slow pace.

Just to return again to this recent fatality: a while ago I was diving with local guy in 40' off Cape Ann and he went OOA. Without saying anything he reached over and grabbed my primary. Although I had a 7' hose, we were swimming side by side and he was on my left so the hose went across my body and pulled him very close to me. At the time I was diving with a minimus secondary reg (on the inflator) I now have a real bakup), and, this guy pinned the backup against my side. I feel a situation like this may have happend on the Poling. A guy donates his primary but has trouble "finding" his backup. In my case, I was able to swim in front of the guy and grab my secondary in maybe 20seconds (which seemed like a long time). But, I could see where a person who didn't know what they were doing could have pulled away and shot to the surface.

I just can't belive the air sharing attempt ending with the donator shooting toward the surface.......total panic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom